Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been battling a brown algae bloom that I'm pretty confident is being caused by decayed plant matter in my gravel. I did a major pruning earlier today and ended up causing a lot of floating particles- likely both brown algae along with plant parts both new and from an earlier die back.

I was hoping I could avoid really risking my substrate escaping while I clean the gravel,but it pretty much HAS to be done to grab all the excess waste that I am sure is there. Did about a 50% water change today because I was getting afraid of ammonia build-up and noticed that tell tale pond smell.

Any advice? I've cleaned regular gravel several times so I know about siphoning it- I have a layer of mixed soil substrate beneath the gravel.

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
Hey guys, been battling a brown algae bloom that I'm pretty confident is being caused by decayed plant matter in my gravel. I did a major pruning earlier today and ended up causing a lot of floating particles- likely both brown algae along with plant parts both new and from an earlier die back.

I was hoping I could avoid really risking my substrate escaping while I clean the gravel,but it pretty much HAS to be done to grab all the excess waste that I am sure is there. Did about a 50% water change today because I was getting afraid of ammonia build-up and noticed that tell tale pond smell.

Any advice? I've cleaned regular gravel several times so I know about siphoning it- I have a layer of mixed soil substrate beneath the gravel.
Yea brown algae usually appears after new tanks are set up if you used a soil substrate. It happened to me too. I think about after 2-3 weeks the brown algae all went away. I lightly siphon the top layer of my gravel because I too have a soil based substrate beneath my gravel. And disturbing that lower section would cloud my water.

Reactions: jeffro0050

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, going to buy a Vac tube with a much smaller diameter so I don't yank stuff up too quickly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How long are you leaving your lights on and what kind of lighting do you have? I started to get brown algae in my tank and without knowing any better I cut the timer on my lights from 10 hours to 8 hours. Somebody told me the brown algae can be caused by not enough light so I moved it from 8 hours to 12 hours and it went away pretty quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts