Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Snowmonkey
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a had my 10g for about a year now, occupied for about 8 months of that year.

My question is, i have not found a good way to keep the bottom rocks clean. i made my own gravel vacuum out of the top of a pop bottle, an old hunting arrow, and some plastic tubing, and it seems to work fine. the flow and opening are really no different than a regular store-bought one.

The problem is that i have not found a way to keep the rocks clean and not full of crud, algae, and other random junk that sinks. Currently i just have regular ol' store bought blue rocks, and they never seem to stay clean.

its gotten to the point where every month or two i have to completely scoop them all out and rinse them in the sink, and its getting annoying....realllly fast.

I was just wondering what are some other options that are easier to clean out, and that work and look better than the boring blue rocks.

EDIT: i was looking online and found a lot of people who like to use sand in their tanks because it maintains a flat surface, thus easier to clean up. any thoughts?

·
Registered
35 Posts
You could look into getting something that will eat some of what settles to the bottom. How much are you feeding per day?
Is the tank near a window? Sunlight will increase algae growth a lot.
How often do you vacuum the gravel? It should be a bi-weekly chore even if your tank is balanced.

·
Registered
232 Posts
How many fish do you have and how often are you feeding them. The stuff you describe is it algae, excess food, or fish waste? These can be corrected by less light, less food, and more filtration. There are also some fish and shrimp that can help keep the bottom clean depending on what it is cluttered with. Depending on how you are cleaning the gravel I am surprised you are not putting your tank into a mini cycle when you take the gravel out and rinse it.

·
Snowmonkey
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
right now i have 2 Kribensis and a small albino Pleco.

I have only had the fish for a week or so, and theyre not yet into the swing of eating on my schedule. Im feeding them the right amount, they just dont eat some of the time.

There isnt much light in the room, so i dont think theres too terribly much algae.

Does anyone know if Kribensis poo looks like thin green strings in the bottom of the tank? becuase thats what is mainly what causes the unsightly crud at the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The waste you are describing sounds to me like its from the pleco. Other then the fact that it is an albino do you know what type of pleco it is? The common pleco's get huge and need at least a 75 gallon and more then likely a 90-120g tank. They are also huge waste producers. I don't know of any species of pleco that can live in a ten gallon tank, maybe some other members do. If I were you I would try to do something else with the pleco and get some otto's or something along those lines. Cory cats are good but they do better in small schools and I don't know if you can keep one or two in a ten gallon or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts