Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone have a male 'Cichlasoma' salvini to trade for a beautiful large female? Please let me know.

Thanks

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Not to derail your question but the salvini, has always been a fav of mine, beautiful fish and an easy breeder, also great parents in my experience, good luck with your sale/trade :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. I got them during our annual maintenance of a pond our club maintains at the Flamingo Botanical park. Turns out all I have are females. They look really great, but I'd like to try breeding them.

BTW, if I can't find someone with a male for trade, I'll be donating that extra female to the next club auction, for anyone that might be interested.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
are you sure they're all females? males can have a lot of red on them too, in fact, my largest male has more red than one of the females (my other female has a solid red lower half...). a more reliable way to tell male or female is if there is a black spot on the gill and on the dorsal fin, it's a female, if the fish doesn't have that spot, it's a male...

Female

Male, though a little blurry...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most submissive and smallest one doesn't have the spot on the operculum or the dorsal fin, the others have the spot. but, I have seen the spot disappear for periods at a time on the others when they are beaten up by the biggest female. That is why I'm not sure if the smallest one, which I think is a male, is actually a male.

p.s. Nice pics and fish you have there, Danny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts