Aquarium Forum banner

Christmas is on its way, TANK IDEAS!

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  petlover516 
#1 ·
Christmas is on its way and i will probably be getting some fish related stuff and giftcards. :) I have a 30 gallon and a 10 gallon tank in storage. They each have their own filters and what not. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cool tank set ups that I can do. Im leaning on putting some sort of cichlid into the 30 gallon. How would a pair, or three yellow labs do? German Blue Rams anyone?

Any ideas for the 10 gallon tank? Im leaning on it being an amazonian tank with driftwood and some low to medium lighted plants. Can you guys educate me on some good plant substrates?

THANKS! and Merry Christmas. :)

P.S. Sorry I have been away for so long. Wrestling started up again, and it takes up all of my time! *J/D*

#2 ·
I'd go for German Rams, because everyone and their mother's uncle has yellow labs, they are the neons of the cichlid world.

There are literally tons of substrates suitable for live plants. Depending on what plants you actually intend to get, you may not even need a specialized substrate. Java Ferns, Moss, and Anubias (the most common types of "low-light" plants) as well as floating plants such as hornwort, pennywort, and duckweed get all their nutrients from the water column.

If you want swords or other rooted and stem plants, they'll do best with some type of enriched substrate. You can either buy a pre-made plant substrate like Flourite Eco-Complete, or ADA aquasoil or go more of a diy setup if you are that kind of person. There are lots of different formulas for enriched substrates. In a budget situation, plain sand, gravel, or a mix of the two can be continually enriched by adding tabs every few months.

Good luck, and as with everything else in this hobby a bit of research goes a long way.

#4 ·
Why not try SALTWATER

#5 ·
If your into africans a victoria/malawi combo would nice- you could try
x3 Haplochromis sp. "Ruby Green"
x5 Metriaclima lanisticola -
x2 Bristlenose pleco

or an SA setup...

x2 Angelfish
x6 Marbled Hatchet
x5 Corydoras adolfoi

as for the 10, i'd do a pair of Apistogramma agassizi and a few whiteclouds too if you wanted.

For someone who's never done saltwater before, a 30g or 10g would be extremely hard...

#6 ·
i agree 10gal would be very hard, but 30gal wouldn't be that hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.