Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently in the process of getting the materials and funds together to construct my 90 gallon planted community tank. Im at the stage where im about to purchase a filter and am looking for a little insight. First off im going to run 2 filters 1 canister and 1 marinland biowheel 150(the one rated for the 30 gallon tank). The canisters im trying to chose between are teh marineland c 360 rated for a 100 gallon tank or the EhEIM 2217 rated for 92-159 gallon tanks. Ive read reviews on both of them and usually there are 9 good reviews and 1 bad for each (example: hard to prime or leaks) Ive dealt with marineland b4 and i know that they will stand behind their products and replace and defective parts. Im just wondering if there will be enough filtration, i dont want there to be any "dead spots".

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've always read that Eheims make better filters than Marineland but that their cost compared to others are often why people consider other filters. Have you considered Fluvals or Rena? IMO they are the best bang for the buck cannisters out there.

I would get the one rated to move the most water for the price you are willing to spend, especially in a planted tank where circulation is more important. Because keep in mind that most gph (gallons per hr) ratings are measured on an empty canister with no filter floss, biomedia, or build-up. The gph goes down quickly on a canister that is really being used.

I would look for one with the most compartments so that you can have multiple bio levels, one for filter floss, one for corse filtering, and perhaps 1 for speciality filtering (phosphoguard, carbon, ammochips..etc). Look for easy disconnects and output options like a spraybar or splitter/diffuser to aim water in multiple directions. Also keep in mind that you want clean up to be fairly easy and you don't want leftover crap to shoot back into your clean tank after hooking it all back up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts