Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had to add freon to a chiller? I'm not sure that is the problem but I would still like to know if I should need to. Well hope to here something soon. thanx<=p.:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I usually have my chillers serviced once a year. They do need to be recharged and sometimes have parts replaced. I recommend finding a good HVAC person to do it for you. The proper equipment is very expensive (more then the chiller). One thing you can do yearly, if it is a reef tank, is to remove the chiller and place a pump in a five gallon bucket of water and vinegar. I usually put one gallon of vinegar to four gallons of water. Let the chiller circulate in the bucket for a day (with the chiller unplugged). This will remove any calcium deposits inside the coil that will over work the chiller and cause it to fail, which means it will need to be serviced sooner. Then empty the bucked and fill it with freshwater. Allow it to circulate in the bucket for another day to rinse out the vinegar and any additional calcium. Then drain the water and use a vacuum to clean the dust out of the cooling fins. Be carefull not to bend the fins. They are fragile. Make sure your chiller pump is service regularly too. A clogged pump will burn out a chiller.

Good Luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts