Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe I am looking at Male and Female lobsters correct? I've been fooled before by blue crayfish but these look like lobsters to me. The rare blue ones at that.

Could you post a photo of their tank and a bit about it please.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Justin,
Yes, these are bright blue female, dark blue male Australian crayfish, these are the ones that are not often seen.
The term lobster is used loosely referring to large freshwater crayfish. The large species like Cherax, Euastacus, and a few others are all from other countries like Australia and parts of Europe. In other countries they use terms like lobster, yabbie, etc. to discribe large crayfish and names like koonac, gilgie, etc. to discribe different types of these crays. They are all crayfish.
Here is a link to a very informative page on these crayfish.
Yabbies

I will have to take a couple pics of there enclosure.
You will be disappointed when you see them though.
I am a breeder and keeper, so I do not have large decorated tanks for my crays.
My main focus is on health and well being of the crays, many are raised in rubbermaid and sterilite containers fitted with sponge filters on a rack, or in 10 gallon tanks on racks.
I can get maximum growth with plenty of water changes and minimum aggression this way.
I will post them in a day or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stunning colors, thanks for sharing!

Lobsters are exclusively found in salt water if I'm not grossly mistaken. However, over here, these freshwater crays are always called "lobster" by fish stores, pet shops and the like...

A friend of mine has a true North Sea lobster, it's huge in comparison!

Cheers
Ulli

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Justin,
It took me longer than a couple days, but here are a couple pictures of the C. destructor's container.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very cool. Thanks.

Where I live we have an actual saltwater lobster that has been caught in a blue clolor as well. It is very, very rare. I thought that yours were that species but nun the less yours are very nice as well.

Have you had successful raising of the spawn yet?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts