Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fish Jimmy is a very active, young Jumbo Oranda. Normally he swims around the tank happily, and even comes up to suck our fingers and get his head stroked. However after being left alone (with filter and light on) for 24 hours over Christmas which professionals said would be okay he has stopped swimming around the tank and stays in a bottom corner of the tank as well as not rushing for food when it is put in like he normally does. He had a 25% water change a week prior but was completely fine in the run up to Christmas. It’s completely unlike him and we are very worried about him. Does anyone know why this could be or what we can do to help him get back to his normal self ?

·
Registered
Freshwater scrub
15 Posts
Do you have him in a good sized tank? If he's in a small one, even if there's a filter the ammonia levels will build up which is a possible cause for what sounds like him being lethargic. Also with goldfish, they can actually get depressed, like if they're in a tank by themselves and especially if there isn't much room to move. These are just guesses, but I would get him a friend and see if that helps if the water parameters are good, which I'm assuming they are. From the sound of things, you're taking good care of him. If he doesn't have anything visible on his body, like a fungus or ich, then odds are it's either he's lonely or something in the water has spiked. And you said someone said it was okay to leave the lights on for 24 hours, that's fine but only if there's someplace for your fish to hide from the light if they're tired or if it's too bright for them, which is common. I'm assuming you're using lights specifically for aquariums, in which case he should be fine, but yeah, it's definitely better if he has somewhere to hide from the light if it's going to be on for a long time. I turn mine off whenever I go visit relatives for the weekend but I can't be gone more than three or four days since I have live plants, which of course need light. But fish generally don't if you have them in a room with natural light. That being said, you don't want them in direct sunlight or too close to a window since it'll change the temperature around in the tank too much. Plus it's not very good for their eyes. Goldfish are obviously not as sensitive as nautiluses, but they still don't like too much light. The only other thing I can think of that might be the problem is parasites. If you got him from a chain petstore instead of a local fish store, the odds of having parasites or some kind of disease is higher, especially if it's a feeder fish, but those can be treated fairly easily if you catch them in time. Both of my goldfish were feeder fish so I quarantined them before adding them to my tank and now they both seem very healthy and my older one has gotten quite large. He's good friends with one of my young koi. Anyway, these are just guesses, please don't take my answers too seriously. Odds are your fish is either tired from having lights on too long or he's sad because he's alone (if that's true, you didn't write that you had other fish so I'm just assuming). And actually it's possible he missed you if you were away long. It's not that common for a fish to really bond with someone, but it's certainly possible. Mine don't really care about me though. They just see me as the food bringer:( Anyway, good luck with your fish. If you have the chance, talk to someone in your local fish store about him. They might have a good feel for what the problem is.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts