Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do catfish like blue cats keep i have a 250 gallon that was salt but has been setting for a while and wanted to do a fresh / catfish tank

whats the feasibilty of this they will be about 5 inches each :fish-info::fish-info:

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
If this is a true Blue Catfish, the current world record is 124 # and was taken from the Mississippi River. Sounds like that might become a tight fit at some point

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
if we are talking about the true blue like JIM mentioned they are extremely strong like all wild catfish, i dont think you will have any problem keeping them as long as you keep you pH in check

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank yall my tank is a medium tank when they get to big i will release them into our pond and start over lol thanks for the info again big john

·
Registered
20 Posts
Releasing them into a pond is illegal? As long as its not a state or fed owned pond, its up to you what goes in it.

If you want to keep catfish that wont outgrow a 250 gal., try black or yellow bullhead. Biggest I've seen on those was a 5 pounder in Mingo swamp, and thats massive for those cats. And they are cool looking.

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yes our ponds are private they do flood on occasion though but the water they feed already has blues in it would that still b a problem in oklahoma

G

·
Its a fine line with releasing native caught captive aquatics.

Id call your local DNR office and find out.

I wouldnt keep a blue in anything under 1000 gallons. We have a replica of the fish on the wall at work( it was donated to us after all, dead or alive every angler deserves to see that fish) . we wont accept any fish from donation or employee caught if its over 30# due to the shape of the 9k gallon warm water game tank.

I dont think YOU will have a problem, i mean the dnr doesnt know any better, next flood that does this call em and notify them you have them in your pond from the recent flooding. I highly doubt you will have an issue since its a pond that is natural I am presuming? old farm pond perhaps?

I know if they are ever in a tank other then for rehab they cannot be returned to the wild due to possibilities of tropical disease outbreak due to the tank itself. I think they mean the tank might have housed other fish at one point in time that wernt native game fish. It can be like letting two snakeheads go wild in north american waters.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
This release, issue is really a decision that each individual must make. As a Card Carrying NANFA member, I must advise from ever releasing any fish, once in captivity, into any body of water period. And the reason is not only to prevent contamination of water sources by an alien species, (That Cat is already out of the bag), but more to prevent some disease contracted by the released fish (while in captivity) from contaminating potentially an entire eco-system.So that having been said, I would recommend hush-puppies and fries, with maybe some slaw, when that blue gets to about 18 inches long :)

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
According to the state laws here in Oklahoma, it is okay to release the fish in the same water way in which it was caught. We've had a long discussion of this on the Oklahoma forum. The laws were looked into and found this to be so.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
According to the state laws here in Oklahoma, it is okay to release the fish in the same water way in which it was caught. We've had a long discussion of this on the Oklahoma forum. The laws were looked into and found this to be so.
Again, Laws and moral responsibility are 2 different things, this is why the VHS ban has threatened the lively hood of fish sales people in the great lakes states, and now threatens our hobby,

I sneak a VHS infected fish out of Illinois, to my tank in Oklahoma, where i also have a local fish i caught in my nice local fishin hole which floods yearly into my local river. I take it home Full well knowing it will get too big to keep to maturity, force it to live miserably for awhile in a tank too small for it. So when ive kept it so long, it is way to big for my tank, and its full of VHS, i lug it back to that same good ole fishin hole and toss it in.... because my local law says its OK ....What NOW. As for me i dont condone any of that.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Oh I totally agree with what your saying, and I feel that the law needs to be changed that even if the fish is caught in a certain river or lake it should go into your own private pond that does not in any way drain into a public waterway or disposed of privately.

G

·
Again, Laws and moral responsibility are 2 different things, this is why the VHS ban has threatened the lively hood of fish sales people in the great lakes states, and now threatens our hobby,

I sneak a VHS infected fish out of Illinois, to my tank in Oklahoma, where i also have a local fish i caught in my nice local fishin hole which floods yearly into my local river. I take it home Full well knowing it will get too big to keep to maturity, force it to live miserably for awhile in a tank too small for it. So when ive kept it so long, it is way to big for my tank, and its full of VHS, i lug it back to that same good ole fishin hole and toss it in.... because my local law says its OK ....What NOW. As for me i dont condone any of that.

Betcha 50 bucks that those VHS infected fish the us anglers in Illinois recieved from the cheesehead state will be in burns ditch this summer. Might even show up in the St. Joe if its not already there.

I am with you on this, its a very real issue.

as far as releasing into the waters it was taken from, that means off a hook and line.

Oh I am also an avid bowfisher, so you know I take care of my waters as much as I can, I give horse trough fulls of gar and carp away to folks who eat em.

Pm me some more info on your organization please.

Thread Author, I will upload tomorrow but I got some nice pics of the cats in my 9k gallon tanks at work, guy I work with lives about 8 miles up river from me got a nice 62# flathead the night before last, the thing is HUGE, also got pics of our fish collecting including channels, blues, flatheads, large and small mouth, some monster gills nice 'eyes and some very delectable looking perch.

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This release, issue is really a decision that each individual must make. As a Card Carrying NANFA member, I must advise from ever releasing any fish, once in captivity, into any body of water period. And the reason is not only to prevent contamination of water sources by an alien species, (That Cat is already out of the bag), but more to prevent some disease contracted by the released fish (while in captivity) from contaminating potentially an entire eco-system.So that having been said, I would recommend hush-puppies and fries, with maybe some slaw, when that blue gets to about 18 inches long :)
bwahahahaha*r2*r2*r2*r2*r2

i like it hahaha

Reactions: JIM

·
Entertainment Commitee
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pics would b great cant wait

Reactions: JIM

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think they grow porportional to their environment, and food. A small tank should limit the size they grow. Don't quote me it is just something I have always been told.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts