Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I have a Red Tail Catfish (Phractocephalus Hemioliopterus) and a Red Devil Cichlid. This is my issue, the two fish both live in a 50 gallon community tank with 3 tinfoil barbs (3 inches) and two plecos (2.5 inches). The red devil is around 8 inches and the catfish is around 8. I have a fairly large castle and both seem to live peacefully 98 percent of the time. I have noticed however, that the Cichlid will bully the catfish every now and then, and the fins seem pretty chewed up. I have tried adding a second shelter apart from the castle, but that doesn't solve the problem, nor do I have the funds to purchase a second tank that would be large enough for the catfish, is there any other solution then a separate tank for the catfish?

Nate

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Try taking the fish out and re-arraigning the tank then put them back. That way the territories will be gone and they will have to make new ones.

On a side note; I hope your planning on a very large tank soon as red tails will outgrow that tank before to long.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
change the 8 inches to 8 feet and you got the adult size of that little kitty! sorry, but i don't have any reccomendations besides the fact that catfish & cichlids have always been enemies at some time. africans absolutely hate catfish, and your red devil is usually good prey for an adult redtail!

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
yeah...red tails are for like those huge show aquariums and the best thing to do is to take it and return it to the lfs or trade it

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done what I think is best and returned the catfish to the store, where they said they will heal it and find it a proper location.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
whew...happy ending....just read this. the bullying would have stopped eventually. You would have noticed that the red devil and tinfoils had vanished. ...( wink, wink )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts