Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a retired Naval officer, I spent a few years on active duty, and many more in the reserves, traveling around the world with an air transport squadron.
In several of our destinations, I saw fish. I made a fish trap and, whenever we went someplace warm, I brought it with me.
One spot I noticed some of the locals fishing with nets, was the Ala Moana Canal, in Honolulu, HI. I went to look at what they were catching, and it was Green Sailfin Mollies. (I don't know if they were M. latipina, or M. velifera or, maybe, a hybrid of both.) The conditions must have been ideal, because they were magnificent; up to 5 inches long, and dorsal fins 1½ - 2 inches high, on the males. The color was grayish, with specks of irridescent blue and green. The tops of the dorsals were edged in orange. A few also had black splotches on the body.
I baited my trap with bread, ( I liked to use pieces of the big soft pretzels, because they were firmer, and held together better, in the water, than regular bread.) and threw it in. The trap was much more efficient than the natives' nets and, in about 5 minutes, I had enough to fill a box. I got about 1200 in an hour, or so.

Below, is a diagram of the trap. I used a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of one eighth inch galvanized wire mesh, (the size of the trap, and mesh, can vary, depending on the size of the fish being caught) and bent it into a circle, with the ends not coming together, but bent in, forming a funnel-like opening, about an inch across. Circular pieces are cut for the top and bottom. The bottom is firmly secured by weaving a thin wire through both pieces. The top is fastened in only a few places, to make it easy to open, and dump the fish out. The finished trap is about a foot in diameter, and two feet high, with an entrance opening two feet high, by about an inch wide.

Click on the thumbnail.

fishtrap.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Awesome!

When I was a kid my favorite thing was to run home from school and check my fish traps! We lived on a lake in Florida and I would catch many types of small fish, sometimes even snakes and oftentimes other things such as water insects. I would keep the fish in tanks for a few days and later release them when their color started to fade. :) I would also use them as bait to catch bass or the elusive tarpon that we had in the lake.

I would use a similar trap made from wire mesh, it was commercially made - it was tubular with inverted funnel openings on the two sides. There was an attachment to make it longer that I would sometimes use between the two halves. I would also bait it with bread. Great memories!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts