Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am just about toset up my 260 litre tank and bought the 5mm pea gravel for the substrate. It says to wash it till the water is clean. I have 25kg to wash and despite spending a whole day on it yesterday (sore fingers!) I don't seem to be able to get the water to be completely clear. Is this normal please? Will it matter that much?
Any feedback welcome.

Keith T

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
Are you supposed to clean gravel?

I don't. Fish seem fine

my .02

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
This is a new setup, new gravel, cleaning before putting it into the tank.

Depending on the gravel, some won't come entirely clean. You can try using a colander and just washing a little at a time or go ahead and put it into the tank and slowly fill it. Put extra floss in your filter to help take out any floating matter.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You'll never get it all cleaned up. The main purpose is to wash away in debris that may be in amongst the gravel. With exception to sand, I do it exactly as Susan has mentioned and use a colander. When one batch it "cleaned", I immediately put it in the tank. Pack your filter with extra floss during this process. Your water might turn a bit cloudy but if you do it right, it will be slim to none. (I.e..lower the gravel all the way to the bottom and then slowly pour it out).

·
*blackback butterflyfish*
208 Posts
i let one of my boyfriends friends wash the gravel when we first set up our first 55 and i didnt find out till later that he only did a lazy quick rinse...tank was cloudy for a day but the filter had it crystal in 2 days.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i like the way you say that nicole. how you LET one of your boyfriends do it for you. *r2 how many boyfriends do you have? j/k *#666 what a lazy bastard.

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
I wanted to hear the answer to that one myself keeper LOL, anywho, i agree with susan as well,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts