Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm consolidating several of my small tanks to one 55 gallon - am planning the process carefully and thank everyone for their suggestions so far.

Big question - can anyone give me feedback on which might be the better filtration choice for my new tank, the Marineland Magnum Pro or the Fluval 305. I would really appreciate it - thanks so much!!
:angler_fish:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
What else do you plan to run with it?

The Fluval is better if its the only filter.
The magnum is good if you have some alternate filtration.

The reason is because the Fluval has three chambers - one for mechanical, one for biological, and another for chemical.

The magnum really only does one at a time although you can put a sponge sleeve over the carbon canister. The magnum isnt really a biological filter though unless you get a bio wheel attachment for it.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have found that both are just names...... I prefer Cascade Filters made by Penn-Plex.... they are really inexpensive and do as great of a job in FW tanks. My water is crystal clear, and I only ope them up every 8 months for maintence.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What else do you plan to run with it?

The Fluval is better if its the only filter.
The magnum is good if you have some alternate filtration.

QUOTE] Thanks so much for your response! I'm thinking of the Magnum 350 Pro with the Biowheel or the Fluval 305, which has some features that sound interesting (the media "drawers" seem nifty). All of my current smaller tanks have Marineland Biowheel systems and I'm very satisfied, but I've heard that the Fluval 05 series has rectified some design flaws that used to cause leaking - your opinion on both of these would be very welcome

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have found that both are just names...... I prefer Cascade Filters made by Penn-Plex.... they are really inexpensive and do as great of a job in FW tanks. My water is crystal clear, and I only ope them up every 8 months for maintence.
what would you suggest for a 55 gallon planted tank with a few high-maintenance residents (one crayfish, active loaches and two Mollies that are always pooping and eating at the same time, lol)

·
Reefer, Plants and Ponds
270 Posts
I used Eheim and was very happy with it. A tad more pricey up front but they last forever.

Reactions: Watertiger

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a Fluval 305 and it work great. I like all the media options you have available. but like with all canister filters you will need to stay on top of the maintenance. In my case I had a lot of detritus accumulation gathering in the filter. so every two to three weeks I had to clean it out. but then again thats a good sign that the filter is working. cleaning was quite simple too. I would recommend it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I decided to go with the new Marineland 350 Magnum Pro Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: Marineland Magnum Canister Filters
with the Biowheel. I currently have six tanks ranging from 3-29 gallons tanks all running with Marineland/Eclipse filtration and I have been very happy with the performance of those products. Just wanted to thank each of you who responded, though I was hoping for a few more voices in the mix. I'll Post progress once I get the 55 gallon up and running with this filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts