Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a heavily stocked 55 gallon tank with two HOB petco power filter 65. I would like to add a canister filter to my setup. I have been going crazy reading up on all the different canister filters ie: Eheim, Rena, Fluval & Magnum; However it seems that every filter has its negative reviews. I am looking for one reasonably priced, very quite with a high flow rate and multiple stages of filtration. I would love some feedback or suggestion which I can use in order to make a good decision.

Thank you,

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well i use the fluval 305 its rated up to 70 gallon.It runs about 150 bucks.But it is very very quiet and it works great!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well first ill make my usual suggestion: AquaClear110 HOB. High flow rate, multi stage customizable filtration, and very cost effective. You could go with an AC70, but if youre going to do that, you might as well spend a couple exctra dollars for the higher media capacity and flow rate of the 110. Basically its a HOB canister with a much higher flow rate.

However he fluval cans as mentioned above are also good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The link above is irrelevant to your question and an irrelevant comparison to begin with as it is comparing two filters rated for completely different sized tanks, both of which are rated for tanks larger then yours.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The link above is irrelevant to your question and an irrelevant comparison to begin with as it is comparing two filters rated for completely different sized tanks, both of which are rated for tanks larger then yours.
He is asking about canister filters. Two of the companies he is looking at are are in the link above. Both companies make smaller filters like the XP2, XP1, 205...etc. that use the same basic build. The review I posted still contains many valid points that are still found on the smaller models for both companies.

Ratings on filters for a tank size of "X" are usually over inflated. A smart person should keep more important specs in mind when deciding on a filter. Like how many gph he or she wants filtered and how much water movement they want....keeping in mind that the gph listed is usually the max when the filter contains no media. A reef tank or planted tank may want more water movement. I use both the 305 and the XP3 in my 75g tank and on top of that I use a hydor koralia for more water movement. Other factors may be how often he or she wants to clean a filter and what kinds of media they want to put in. These could be reasons to buy a bigger filter or to get multiple smaller ones.

Aquaman can figure out what factors are most important to him, the link just provides him with other things to consider when comparing models from those 2 companies. He can decide if it's irrelevant or not. ;)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just compared my Rena to my Fluval here. Let me know if you have any questions:
http://www.aquariumforum.com/f63/rena-xp3-vs-fluval-305-a-1976.html

I could not see paying more for a similar spec Eheim over these two, and a Magnum does not compare IMO. They are very limited with their filtration stages.
After reading your review & doing some more research I am going to go with the Rena XP3 OR possibly the XP4. Any recommendations on were I can find a XP4 reasonably priced?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone else has any information on were i can get a RENA XP5 for a good price please let me know.

·
Registered
756 Posts
After reading your review & doing some more research I am going to go with the Rena XP3 OR possibly the XP4. Any recommendations on were I can find a XP4 reasonably priced?
I shopped around for mine, and found the cheapest place to get one was on Ebay. Keep in mind that the different sellers charge a wide range for shipping. I made sure I got it brand new from a respected dealer and decided to go with the buy now option over bidding. I can PM you the exact seller if you want his ebay info.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I shopped around for mine, and found the cheapest place to get one was on Ebay. Keep in mind that the different sellers charge a wide range for shipping. I made sure I got it brand new from a respected dealer and decided to go with the buy now option over bidding. I can PM you the exact seller if you want his ebay info.

Yes PLEASE send me the ebay seller.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts