Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
So my tank has been going pretty steady for a couple of months now.
It's 30 gallons and currently houses 6 pristella tetras. They all seem happy and healthy, except for the smallest guy who isn't quite as brightly colored and a little shy. I think he'll grow out of that stage.
Either way, the tank is stable, however my water parameters are off. It's pH is lower than 6, the water is very hard, and there is zero alkalinity. I have been passively treating this by removing any extra food, plants that have fallen away and died, removing any decorative rocks that seemed suspicious, and with biweekly water changes.
After these past several months, I'm starting to wonder if my levels will ever balance out. Is it worth it to continue trying to change the water chemistry, or should I just deal with the fact that my conditions are not normal. I know nothing drastic is happening now, and although the conditions are less than ideal, they are certainly not fatal. I'd like to add more fish and plants without worrying about them dying right away.
Are there any particular plants and/or small fish that would do well in hard water, low pH aquariums?
Much obliged friends.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
how long have the fish have been doing ok?

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I would just leave it alone, changing your chemistry can cause more problems in the long run. Most fish are now tank bred and can adjust pretty easy to different ph's as long as they are acclimated right and taking your time. This is where a drip method comes in handy. It slowly acclimates them to your water.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts