Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aqua Addict
292 Posts
You would have to do a little more research into the subject. I know you can keep them in tanks if you set up a tank for it. But a 55gallon is going to be kinda small for a bass

Post a question in the coldwater forum. That is where you would get the best response I think. There might be some info in there already.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
I have kept bass, crappie, and bluegills before they will survive in your tank no problem but they will outgrow it very fast. I wouldnt keep a bass over 10" in a 55g just knowing their behavior.

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
good point cichlideo!
check your local laws, depending on where you live you might end up getting in some big trouble if they see you taking a fish.
What size bass are you wanting to keep?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ive kept small bass, trout and sunny's, even had sunny breed for me. I kept the sunfish with my JD's and cons and they took over the tank but all lived together for well over a year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i was to specific what i ment was would they survive i wouldnt put to big a fish in to small a tank and i live in fl long as u gotta fishin liscense u can keep most of the fish u catch. i just thaught it would be cool to own some of the local fish

·
Banned
54 Posts
All depending on your local DNR laws, you can certainly keep both Bass and sunfish in a 55 gallon aquarium. The record largemouth was about 23 inches i believe, which is pretty large for a 55 gal. however, The Suwannee Bass ( (Micropterus notius) reaches only about 12 inches when fully mature, which would take several years to achieve if ever in captivity. There is also the red-eye bass (M. coosae),
Common size 6-9 inches when mature, that would also be manageable in smaller aquariums.

There are lots of Sunfish species which could be kept full life in a 55.

Then there is the Shadow Bass
(Ambloplites ariommus)
which also reaches only about 12 inches.

Lots of cool choices for the guy who wants to keep North American Natives. I do.......:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts