Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, two days ago I got my tank. It was a pretty good deal, a 55 gallon, two big ol filters, gravel, a few decorations, and a lid for 99 bucks. Heres the setup:

I have gotten the filters going (Ive had two tanks before) and put in some algae eater and "tap water make safe" liquid. (Im not sure exactly what it does-says it gets rid of chlorine.)

I also got a heater today. My question is, me and some buddies want to go and get fish tommorow. We could either scoop some up from the lake (I live in Florida) or go to the pet store. Is my tank ready for perhaps some hardy fish that could get the nitrogen cycle going? No matter how much I read about the nitrogen cycle (ive printed dozens of articles) im not a science guy and it confuses me.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Yes!
Get the fish, and also at the store get a pH test kit if you don't have one yet.
Also get some buffer to bring the pH to where it needs to be, in case you do need to change it a bit.
Once a new tank has it's chlorine removed, temp stabilized, and the pH adjusted, you are all set to add the first few fish. Maybe test the water from wherever you collect from if thats the route you take, try and match the pH in your tank with that water (don't test the water the fish traveled home in, take a separate sample - ideally test it there at the collection site).
Start slowly, add a few fish, feed moderately as the days go by, and you'll be on your way to a cycled tank. About 6-8 weeks give or take for the various spikes in parameters to come and go. Using a commercial bacteria or some floss from an existing tank will help speed things along ;)
Congrats on your new tank, enjoy it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive tested the water levels- interesting results, in my opinion. And thank you to all that have helped out.
I tested the results three times-just to be sure.

Ph-7.4
Ammonia-2 mg/l
Nitrite-0 mg/l
Nitrate- 7mg/l

Why would I have Nitrate without nitrite? Wierd.

And I was expecting the Ammonia levels to be higher considering I had 10 large fish in there for a few days, including feeding.

So, is the Ammonia still too high for fish?

·
Registered
324 Posts
your cycle is just starting. first amonia rises, then nitrite, then nitrate. the nitrate reading may be from what is in your tap water or form when you had the lake fish.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts