Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 4ft coldwater tank and want to know what kind of fish i can put in,i dont really want goldfish what other types are bright and interesting.i have 12 danios but want bigger fish as its quite a large tank.i cant find anything on net!

·
Registered
34 Posts
wow, there are so many different options. Danios tend to be pretty non aggressive and kind of need to be kept with other non-aggressive (community) fish. Problem there is that most of these fish are fairly small. However, I absolutley love a planted tank full of community fish and a school or 2 of something else. You can get some real easy plants like anubias, hygro, or many others pretty cheap or even free... and plants can really help with tank maintenance. I suggest looking around for a while at community fish and get an idea of what you like. You can look at people pics, online fish profiles, go to petsmart or some local fish store and ask questions. If you find something you like, then I'm sure you'd be welcome to ask about the fish here. Some of my favorite community fish are rasbora species, cardinal tetras (look like neon tetras, but bigger, hardier, and the blue and red stripes are a bit different). It's nice to have a bottom feeder or 2. bottom feeders often eat slightly different things and can be used to help keep you tank clean. For instance, bristlenosed plecos are great for eating green algea and sometimes black beard algea (bba), ottos are great for the green and the brown algeas, true sae's (Siamese Algea Eater) are known for eating bba and green. Then various other catfish are good at cleaning poop or food that falls to the bottom. Some loaches keep snail populations down. Which is nice when you use snails to help keep your tank clean. I used MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) to stir my sand, suck protien of the water's surface, and clean my plants, but they reproduce like crazy and if allowed to reproduce too much they can killl your tank. Their slime gets all over they eat the plants, they cover the glass and just mess everything up. So I kept clown loaches too. Be careful with ghost shrimp because they are sometimes actually prawns. Prawns get huge and eat everything. I had one eat my 3 inch pleco, some cardinals, a tetra, a frog, and all the food in the tank. Just bad news. I took that prawn out and fed it to my oscar in another tank. To my suprise...It actually put up a good fight against that 10-12" oscar. It grabbed the oscar by the head and rode it around the tank. Well, anyhow, the point is that there are countless different ways to set up a tank. Always research. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts