Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was wondering what you guys might suggest as far as online shopping for fish goes. I am looking to get a couple of Roseline Sharks and Apisto double reds or something of the sort, but my local pet stores either don't have a reasonable price, or are not getting them in stock. I saw a couple of websites online that sell them, but am unsure what I'm getting myself into. Could somebody suggest where I might be able to find reliable sites, and/or tell me how it all works/what are the risks?

Thanks a lot.

·
Banned
54 Posts
Ive bought and received lots of fish from online sources, with varied success. Mostly if you stick with a reputable dealer that is known to other hobbyist, you will be ok. Ive also had pretty good luck buying off aquabid, as you can check a sellers reputation there before you buy. I would say that if you find a fish you want from a particular source, run it by the folks on this forum to see if anyone has dealt with them before.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have made several on line purchases and have great success with all of them. Several were from a member of another forum that breeds plecos. The other were from aqua bid. One thing I try to do is to find a breeder who is pretty close by. That way the shipping is usually only a day or two. You have to remember that when fish are shipped to pet stores they go all over the country in bags and survive. Plus a lot of the fish that go to chain pet stores aren't as healthy and hardy as those that come from a private breeder. And finally I have found that even after paying shipping it is often time cheaper to get them from a private breeder.
I got 4 albino BN plecos and after shipping the total cost was $21.00 dollars. They are $14 each at the closes lfs. I just got 9 angel fish (about half dollar size) from aquabid and total cost was $35.00 after shipping charge. The ones this size were around $9 each at the lfs. Shop around and check the feedback if they are not a good breeder people will let you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts