Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently upgraded from my 24 Gallon nano to a 120 Gallon reef tank. I have posted pictures of it and it looks pretty good if i do say so myself. The problem I am having is the tank was not drilled when I purchased it and being stupid I took the advice of my lfs who rather than wanting to drill the tank saw fit to sell me on closed filter boxes in the back of the tank. So my queations are how would I go about setting up filtration for a Refugium now? Over flow boxes? Can I just run a pump wo a pvpc pipe and do it that way? I am buying a tank this week that is already set up as a refugium and I have a protein skimmer which i am hoping is the right size. I just need advice with plumbing to and from it. Thanks alot in advance for all the help guys. Zero

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
I used plastic storage containers as my refugium/sump.

my .02

·
Banned
3,683 Posts
So I recently upgraded from my 24 Gallon nano to a 120 Gallon reef tank. I have posted pictures of it and it looks pretty good if i do say so myself. The problem I am having is the tank was not drilled when I purchased it and being stupid I took the advice of my lfs who rather than wanting to drill the tank saw fit to sell me on closed filter boxes in the back of the tank. So my queations are how would I go about setting up filtration for a Refugium now? Over flow boxes? Can I just run a pump wo a pvpc pipe and do it that way? I am buying a tank this week that is already set up as a refugium and I have a protein skimmer which i am hoping is the right size. I just need advice with plumbing to and from it. Thanks alot in advance for all the help guys. Zero
Funny you should mention pvc pipes for overflows.

here are some I tested:

revision b

and revision c

so you can use pvc for the overflow but you cannot just run the pipe down to the sump. You must setup an overflow internal to the pipe and "trap" the water to maintain operation when the power fails then comes back on.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. If nothing else playing around with the pvc is fun.

my .02

1 - 4 of 4 Posts