Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I soaked some branches from a shrub in the yard for about a month until they were good and waterlogged before I placed them in the aquarium - now the cut ends of the branches are covered in bubbles. Any idea what the bubbles are?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a guess, but it could just be air. When I trim my stem plants, large bubbles of air will surge out of the stalk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Odd. It wasn't doing that while it was soaking. Doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Just wondered if anyone knew what it was. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not that familiar with using woods other than mopani and Malaysian in an aquarium. Other knowledge is curing and working hardwood for projects or simply burning various woods.

If this is a tank fairly larger than your soaking container, it's possible that the higher water pressure is forcing gasses out tighter wood grains or knots (if any exist). A knot in the wood is a harder, tighter grain than the rest of the piece, of course.

If you see any stress from the fish, pull it out immediately. Do you know what type of tree it came from?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is that the temperature is a lot higher and that that is what is forcing out the gasses. I checked online and crepe myrtle isn't poisonous, and the fish are fine, so I am not worried. I was just curious.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts