Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is this brown stuff developing on the sand? im not even down cycling and weird stuff is already appearing. is this brown stuff good? or bad?how do i get rid of it?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Pics would help but sounds like diatoms and a normal process of cycling. What are your readings, are you useing tap water or RO/DI water and what do you have for flow oh and what size tank do you have

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havent got around to getting a test kit yet but i will this weekend...the water was pre mixed at the store its a jbj nano tank 12g after a couple days of cycling i added "cycle" maybe i shouldnt have but o well. the filetered water that comes out of the filtration system has some force to it wich acts like a powerhead should i add a seperate powerhead? and thanx for replying

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to the naked eye it just seems like light brown stains when u look up close its seems like really tiny micro hairs or something

·
Registered
943 Posts
I had the same nano for awhile and found that I needed another small PH in there to help with the flow. I would leave the lights off untill your cycle is complete and that will help to reduce the unwanted algeas. When your parameters come in line add a few snails and they should take care of it and you can use a turkey baster and blow off the rocks and sand.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
It is diatoms algea cuased by the silca in the gravel. Have nothing really to do with cycling even in estblish tank when you add more gravel you will get an out break of it. it very easy to clean up. It not sticky and will brush off very easily. After the tank is cycled what ever algea maintence crew you discide to use will love to eat it. This is actaully a great food source for fry fish as will.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I dont really agree richie because I have seen diatoms come up in tanks that use argonite sand and even in BB tanks. Once your cycle is done you should not have any more issues with diatoms unless you are useing tap water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx alot for the help its close to being a week of cycling....im going to purchase the test kits now to see wats going on. if all is well then ill add a cleaning crew of like 2 or three snails or something interesting then add my fish n the rest of cleaning crew so far noone has told me its a bad thing so im not worried anymore and that was my concern if it were something i should remove quick...remember im a newb at this haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts