Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I have a Brown Bullhead named Dick, named because he is a Dick and eats all types of fish...which i think is excellent but my wife does not...

i caught him out of the river, he is 5" and is very energetic, swims in and out of the tunnel i made for him...

the story is great:
i caught him and he was barely hooked so i gently removed the hook and put him in the water where he swam around my feet for like 10 minutes and then swam off and then came back to my feet until i was done fishing...so i scooped him up and brought him home and he loves it, he recognizes me everytime i walk into his room, and he swims through his 13" tunnel.

i will be posting the pictures soon

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Very nice....hope you have a biiiiiiiiig tank for him and excellent filtration. You will need it. Used to catch em out of the Ohio all the time. Good eatn too! ;o)

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya i have a 55 for now until he gets too big for that, and im looking at getting a 125 gallon for him...i am running 2 5-15 gallon filters in the 20 gallon which seems to keep up quite well and the 55 is going to have a 50 gallon filter in the back and the two 5-15 gallon filters on either end to allow equal filtration and keep the water moving so he feels right at home...he is the most attached fish ive ever owned, he like understands that im his buddy

·
Registered
15 Posts
ya i have a 55 for now until he gets too big for that, and im looking at getting a 125 gallon for him

you have no idea what you have do you look up the care requirements for a red tailed catfish there similar for a bullhead minus the cherry disposition

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
although i highly doubt my bullhead will grow to the 5 feet of the Redtail, i understand how you feel and you feeling you are warning me of something, but i believe keeping them until they grow up and then taking them out to a pond in the backyard is just fine...but thats just me

-EDIT-
you have no idea what you have do you look up the care requirements for a red tailed catfish there similar for a bullhead minus the cherry disposition[/QUOTE said:
the average brownhead is 8-14 inches where as redtails get to be 5 feet, so before you go telling me about what i have, you should do your research

DNR - Brown Bullhead Ameiurus nebulosus

theres a link for ya, go read up bud...a 125 is perfect amount of space for 2 bullhead easy.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
you have no idea what you have do you look up the care requirements for a red tailed catfish there similar for a bullhead minus the cherry disposition
Sry....not even close to an RTC. Is it possible you are thinking of a flathead instead?

A 125g will be fine for these guys.

·
Bullheads Rock My Socks
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
exactly...Redtails are massive and bullheads are not

·
Registered
204 Posts
wish my brother had gotten a bullhead instead of the blue channel cat. I'm tempted to sell it while he's not paying attention. he has the poor thing crammed into a twenty gallon tank and he's already almost a foot long. I'm gonna be saving up money from my new job to first buy a 125 gallon tank for him till my brother can afford to build the poor thing a pond.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Yeah, bullheads are a handful but they are in range. be careful though - they may not be legal to keep - some places don't allow it.
Red-tailed cats are a different kettle of fish - a monster cat with a tropical growth rate. I wouldn't keep a bullhead myself, but I'm too far north for a permanent pond in the backyard for one.
A red-tail can never go into a pond - too ecologically dangerous.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts