97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I always liked brown algea on stones etc. but it is now attacking my
plants. Someone told me to do a partly refreshment of the water with
rain-water. Any ideas about this?

·
Registered
139 Posts
in my opinion, you can change the water till the fish come home, that wont take care of the alge. do you have anything that eats alge? if you can get one i would. you know how i feel about chemicals(everyone knows how i feel about them) but it might be an inbalance in the water causng the alge, not the fish. there are all kinds of chems. from 'jungle' that takes care of a lot of problems. however, once you medicade your tank, you could lose fish. ive never had that happen with 'jungle' but there is always a chance. my bala had the white fungi on one of his eyes and the only way i found to get rid of it was the fungus clear from jungle. it turns the water a beautiful emerald green, and within 3 days his eye cleared up.( the green color looks great with the flo. lights.) sorry moment.:D. i will look it up in a book i have and will let you know what i find.

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Brown algae are hard to control because not many things eat it . Plecos will keep it at bay as they feed on the bacteria slime . If you have brown algae it is a good idea to step up your water change regime . Note that frequent weekly and /or bi -weekly changes are far better than monthly changes . In fact , changing the water very very often keeps the parameters stable . If you wait a whole month , there will be fewer nutrients for plants and Ph may fluctuate wildly .
Rain water is not a good idea at all . It is void of mineral salts and will not support your plants and other inhabitants. It can be used temporarily to induce spawning but the ph can plummit without the buffering of minerals .

I hav'nt used any chemicals in five years . No carbon , no anything. Just good old fashioned water changes .

·
Registered
139 Posts
thats my bad. i had an alge eater that ate all kinds of alge. i read that the water changing didnt work...maybe i need an updated book! i hate to medicade my tank. i think ive done it maybe 2 times in 6 yrs. so dutchman that was my bad!:eek:

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Supposedly , siamese algae eaters will or flying foxes. My experience has been that they do a very poor job and prefer fish food.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No it doesn't, when I had cychlids in the tank it was nice in balance, the
algea where there but I liked the look. Now they are growing like hell,
that is nice on my coconut but not on the plants:eek:

Ron

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I did the job, i scrapped algea from the windows, from the rock,
from the coconut, from the piece of wood. I cleaned the plants as far as
possible, i refreshed half of the water.
Tomorrow I will buy a few more plants, to replace the ones who died.

I hope this will help, I keep you all informed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts