Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the aquarium hobby. I've started a 20gallon tank with fishless cycling. Then added 1 betta, some tetras, and a plecos. My question is, on the large driftwood in my tank there is several areas of brown fluffy algae. I read it was because when I cycled my tank the lights were off and it grew because of that. I have put the lights back on now but it is not going away. I even took the wood out and scrubbed it off but it's growing back now. Also the plecos doesn't seen to like it. How do I get rid of it? Or do I just toss that one and get a new one?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey newbee, let us know if the boiling works. I had the same problem with driftwood giving off fuzzy whitish brown stuff, and just ended up chucking it :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, to tell the truth, I don't have a pot long enough to hold the driftwood and cover it with enough water to keep boiling. Sooooooo, I improvised, I put it in the auto dishwasher on "Pots and Pans" setting, and boasted the water temp up. It has been running for 1 hour now and I plan to run it through one more time. I'll let you know in a few days if things start to grow on it again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, it's been 7 days since I "dishwashered" the driftwood. So far, so good, no new growth seen, yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts