Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Bumblebeechloe
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Northern (Canada) Locations with extreme winters, I am opting to bring them out from my pond and to put goldfish indoors for winter. I have inside to house my fish.

Temporary temperature fluctuations- such as several days cold weather in the late spring - do not pose a threat to pond fish. But the sustained low temperatures the come with winter season are a real danger. I get a rare hard freeze in my area for a few days, an ice cover could form on the pond deeper provide some protection against extreme high temperatures caused by solar illumination.

Winter means different things in different geographic areas. How any feeding after October leads to a pond of dead goldfish. If you feed your pond after weather starts to turn colder. They will caution, you will kill your goldfish.

Keep in mind that fish do not generate their own body heat by burning calories as mammals do. They depend on water temperature and solar radiation for heating (or cooling). Fish move within waters of different temperature and areas of differing solar illumination to adjust their body temperatures - this is known as thermal regulation. Fish in a pond have very limited opportunities thermal adjustment.

From the perspective of the fish the single most important consideration is whether feeding is safe or dangerous. It's not the season per se, but the average ambient water temperature that matters. The rate of digestion, as well as other metabolic processes, in fish is set by the body temperature. In turn, a fish's body temperature is set by the water temperature.

:dont_tap_the_glass:

·
Bumblebeechloe
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bringing my comet & fancy goldfish indoors in their house tanks. Proud comet goldfish parents and their new babies goldfish fry too!

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts