Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, it's been awhile.
I set up an 18 gal hex breeder tank a couple of weeks ago. Since then two guppies, a red wag platy and a sunset platy have given birth in it for a grand total of approximately 80 fry :eek:. The tank is divided to keep them separate. (Most are being moved to LFS fri.)
Question. What is the best thing to use to put over the end of the gravel vac while the fry are in there? I tried some thin commercial sponge but it was still too thick.
Would netting work. Like on fish nets?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Donna

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use a bare bottom tank to raise fry. You can then siphon detritus off the bottom with airline tubing and just watch out for the fry. I also use sponge filters for filtration or just an air stone depending on frequency of water changes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i do the same as Kogo in my angel tank, and just check the bucket before throwing the water out to make sure i have no fry in there, if there is i sucked it up in the tube and spit it back into the tank away from the parents it works well for me

·
Registered
81 Posts

In my 10 gallon cichlid fry tank, I have no substrate, and I have one plant in there for them to rest on at night. (They are literally using the plant like a bed its pretty funny)
If you go and buy the smallest siphon you can find then take the end off of it so it looks like a regular hose, you can put the hose almost flat against the bottom of the glass and slowly suck the water and 'stuff' off the bottom. If you accidently suck one up, no worries, just keep an eye on the siphon at all times, and check your bucket before you pour it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts