Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 gallon long planted tank with no filter, other fish are thriving in this tank and my question would be-- could GBR's survive in this setup? I've had them before and they did great for me, but this setup has no current or filtration of any sort. BEASLBOB if you see this thread I would appreciate your .02*c/p*

·
Fish CrAzY!!
197 Posts
Hmmm possibly, but I'm no expert on planted tanks or filtration. If you were to do that you would need much less fish than if you were to have a filter. How many fish are currently in there?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
currently there are a male and female betta(which I have kept with rams before), 2 little(less than an inch) pencil fish, and 2 tiny feeder guppies which will be gone soon and 2 Flagfish around an inch.
Pencilfish

Flagfish

Male Betta

Female Betta

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback, however i'm not real concerned with the overstock issue in this tank at the moment. I go according to the fish not the "rules" of stocking. I have seen some tanks this size with a heck of alot more fish than I've got here and those tanks were running way longer, my question was not about stocking it was whether or not the rams can be in this type of tank or not? I have had them in a normal setup and had no issues with them but not sure about this. I dont mean to come off any type of way its just if I and everyone went according to the "rules" we would not have a chance to enjoy what we do. I personally always go with the experience of trying versus the "rules" of the hobby. At any given moment in my tank there is %90 untouched space and 9 out of 10 times you look at this tank you wonder why there is an empty tank setup.

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
I'm not coming off as if they would go with whats in there, what I am saying with a natural tank it is best to understock or it can go downhill fast and the rams will be the first to go as they are more sensitive to conditions. If the tank was larger or you didn't have the flags in there I would say go for it. I have had several natural tanks and have found the lighter the stock the better conditions are. If the tank had a filter I would say go ahead as it puts it in a different scenario but without a filter, I still feel that it would be best not to. But you can take my advice or not. Its not my tank. I am just thinking of the well being of the fish.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats kool, believe me i appreciate th feedback whether positive or negative. so thank you, i know where your coming from with that, do you think maybe if I took out the guppies and pencilfish or do you think its just the size of the betta's combined with the flags? I really would like to keep the flags together with the betta's cause it often seems that the 2 pair enjoy each other. sorry if it seemed like I was having some kind of attitude:animated_fish_swimm*whip*

·
Pleco n bn breeder n BOSS
7,685 Posts
Its not the size that really concerns me. The deal is with the flags they can be major waste producers for their size as can rams be. They can be added to the tank as is, but with the waste that you are going to get in the tank you would need to do more water changes than what is normal for a natural tank.

My first natural tank was a 75 gal, which started out being an endler tank. With the breeding like rabbits that they do it didn't take long for it to hit 400 fish in there. They are very small fish. When I was selling a lot of endlers out of the tank my water changes was once every 6 months, then it got out of hand with fry that I was having to do water changes every week, as the parameters started rising, started getting a lot of algae and other problems then the ph bottomed out due to organic matter. Daily fish loss became a normal thing. My smaller tanks which I just kept a minimum stocking I had no problems with. I just added water for evaporation and water change every 6 months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts