Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted to get a school of blue chromis (mabye 7) and was just wondering how large my tank would have to be.
Also I wanted to ask the same question about the scott's fairy wrasse.
And could they go into the same tank?

·
Aquarium Fanatic
1,267 Posts
i dont about the firy wrasse but i would do at least a 55 for the chromis, knowing that when full grown the 7 chromis will be a total of 35in of fish

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ah...with the Fairy Wrasse we would be talking in the neighborhood of a 125 gallon tank, for 7 Chromis I wouldnt consider anything under a 55 gallon tank with that many and would suggest a 75 gallon tank as a good starting point.

·
Registered
724 Posts
125g for fairy wrasse sounds like a good volume. You could probably get away with a 55g for 7 chromis, as long as they had plenty of swimming room.

·
Registered
250 Posts
125g for fairy wrasse sounds like a good volume. You could probably get away with a 55g for 7 chromis, as long as they had plenty of swimming room.
I concur depending of course on if you plan on adding anything else, and filtration etc...

Reactions: fjoanne

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
X3... Both of those fish are beautiful in there own right. A shoal of blue or green chromis are a sight to behold, and the Scotts fairy wrasse, is a georgeous fish as well, ive had good luck with the chromis, but the Wrasse for me was a jumper, so i would recommend a good lid with no escape routes. Otherwise when it comes to tanks Bigger is always better

·
Banned
1,148 Posts
Just to clarify a little, as we always think bigger is better and it is in almost all cases, You could easily keep 4-5 small chromis, and one of the smaller species of fairy wrasse in a 55, it will take years for either of those to reach a size that would restrict them, and maybe by then you would have the larger tank. I only add this because ive done it with no problem.

·
Registered
250 Posts
+1! I agree with Jim here. So often we all have the knee jerk answer of "your overstocked", or "get a bigger tank". While we all want to be responsible keepers, we gotta sometimes take a step back and realize not all fish are show size, or will be for years!

Reactions: fjoanne

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so If I was to use my 75 gallon I would be able to keep 4 chromis and a scotts fairy wrasse for at least 2 years? And I would'nt stunt thier growth or any other long term effects? That would be so cool if I can since those fish are the reason I got into SW. But of course I love my other fish now as well but would still love to get my fairy wrasse

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jim makes a very balid point. There are alot of fish you can house in a smaller tank for a while until they get some size on them and mature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts