Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my tank is right back where it started before the blackout. Plus I am missing another guppy, my last surviving male. He is nowhere to be seen. Anyway I am starting the blackout tonight.

Water Plant Pet supply Organism Aquatic plant

· Registered
701 Posts
I read up on causes of green water, they called it an algae bloom caused by a couple things, seems excess light is number one.
They suggest a UV light will get rid of it post haste. I'm not sure how much they cost.
I feel for ya big time

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Not finding the dead fish will cause nutient spikes and cause that. 23.09

· Registered
368 Posts
Go get a green machine uv sterilizer. Also what lights you running. Looks awful bright to me. And I'm looking at this in 4k on a Samsung tv. Also where is the filter and how big is it? I always buy next step up just to be sure of enough filtering and water movement. No water movement will stagnant the water killing off bacteria and causing massive blooms like this one.

· Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I read up on causes of green water, they called it an algae bloom caused by a couple things, seems excess light is number one.
You may be on to something...maybe my light is too strong.
Not finding the dead fish will cause nutient spikes and cause that. 23.09
It's like they took a quantum leap into another dimension...I cannot find them.
Black out ain't gonna fix anything, as you've seen, if you don't fix the water problem first.
How do I fix the water problem when I don't know what the problem is?
Also what lights you running. Looks awful bright to me.
I will get the pic of the box that the light came in and show you.
Also where is the filter and how big is it?
It is a Fluval 207. The intake is in the back left corner and the outflow is in the right hand corner.

· Registered
368 Posts
Glad you figured out what's the problem. But yea I've cut mine down to 6 hours also. Anymore on a low tech setup creates to many problems. Now my 40 gallon i run higher lighting as it has co2. I can push plants out of that one like the pros.

· Registered
357 Posts
I run most of my tanks for 6 hours, the only exception is my reef and 75 for 8 hours because they have 2 different light types other than the blue "moonlight" LEDs. I run the "beauty (RGB)" lights for about an hour before and after the "brights" come on.

I think you're still going to struggle until you find those fish. Have you cracked the canister open to see if they ended up in there?

· Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad you figured out what's the problem.
Thank you, Deathdealer!
I think you're still going to struggle until you find those fish. Have you cracked the canister open to see if they ended up in there?
No I have not looked in there yet. Do you think the Cory Cats and Rosy Minnows would eat them?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts