Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a lot of this stuff on my drift wood. I don't mind the look of it but is it dangerous for the tank? The fish don't seem to mind it but of course nothing eats it at all. Just wondering what to do. I'm not getting anymore algae anywhere else. Trouble is I'm starting to get it on one of my plants that grows out of my drift wood.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
BBA is not harmful to your fishies. Some folks like the look of it in small amounts but it can take over. A true SAE will munch it. I've also heard reports that flag fish will but have never been able to confirm that.

As for riding it, you can use H2O2 and using a small syringe, dose it right on top of the algae. Do this in only small amounts a little at a time.

Do you inject CO2 or use ferts?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
very different, I think SAE's have been called false foxes in the trade in prior times, I only found 1 importer of them in the states and havnt heard back from them yet. I thought I had BBA but its just hair algae or it could be java moss but not sure what that stuff looks like in the early stages of growth.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what else to do. I certainly don't mind the natural look of it, in fact I kind of like it. I just don't want it killing my plants. I took one piece of drift wood out of the tank a short while ago and really gave it a good scrubbing. Still, that stuff sticks like glue and it's hard to see when it's out of the tank and no longer in water. Will this stuff kill plants if it attaches itself to it?

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
toothbrush will work. i've been known to use that from time to time. just haven't had to deal with it too much. GSA is what i normally use it for. You don't by chance have a phosphate test kit would ya?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I just found true siamese algae eaters today and grabbed a pair, they are true as they get.

I also scored a new angel from them for no charge, bitty fry guy was in with the juveniles the fish guy at this place stocks for sale.

One has already started munching the other is swimming around the plants and wood nibbling here and there

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have true SAE's but they won't touch the black beard algae...

James, what is GSA? I don't have a phosphate test kit but I do use a bag of phosguard because I have well water and that typically is high in phosphates/

I'm telling you, I'm really frustrated with this black beard crap. I mean I just used a wire brush which worked but it takes the wood with it. A regular firm toothbrush doesn't do spit to my BBA. I just can't believe there isn't anything on the market that helps get rid of this stuff. Spot treating it with H202 just seems like it would be an endless process.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
GSA is Green Spot Algae. It can be a pain to deal with too. The iron levels aren't gonna be much use with black beard.

And yes, dosing H202 can be cumbersome as it is spot treating however it is one way to get it gone.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts