Aquarium Forum banner

Black and gold snails?

14K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  The Fish Lady 
#1 ·
I'm pretty sure this doesn't go here, but I wasn't sure where else to ask. A few weeks ago, I noticed these oldy colored common snails. Or what I thought was a common snail. Upon closer inspection, I found that their shells are jet black, with gold polka dots. I have searched the internet and found no mention of these old snails.
Has anyone else seen them, or do you have them?

Oh and I found an Albino common snail in my tank this afternoon, when I did my daily tank inspection (seach for my newly introduced RCS, check on my plants, ect.). Could there be something wrong with my water? Or are these new inhabitants normal?

#5 ·
The gold is even kind of sparkly. There are several of them in my seventy-five. It's rather newly established, but some of the rocks and some drift wood, ect. came from other tanks. They are very amazing to look at, it seriously looks like someone painted their shells, but i'm sure no one has.

#7 ·
Did you ever buy any nerite snails? But I would doubt that they would reproduce in fresh, the eggs need brackish to salt to hatch.

There may not be enough calcium in your water and that will cause snails to discolor and turn white. But not black with gold spots.

#12 ·
I have a jar full of anacharis that I keep outdoors. I decided to clean some of the water out today and noticed a ton of snails sitting everywhere. I don't know how they got there but possibly came from the koi pond where I purchased the water plants.

Are these common pond snails? I noticed that mine are black with metallic gold spots just as the OP described her snails to be. First time seeing such snails. I searched all over the internet but couldn't find any info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.