Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm a new member, but have been reading posts on this forum for a couple of months. I'm not new to keeping aquarium fish, but am new to doing it right.. :)

I have a 55 gal freshwater with a gourami, an angel, a few tetras, a giant danio, a couple of small catfish, and two goldfish. I know I shouldn't mix tropical fish and goldfish, but the goldfish were a present and I do 40% water changes at least weekly, sometimes twice a week. The temp in the tank hovers between 79 and 82. I know goldfish prefer colder water, but the warmer water doesn't "seem" to bother them. I've had them for almost 3 years. My nitrate level is 0, phosphate levels are good (since I've been using phosphate remover in the filters), and ph is good. I use tahitian moon black sand as substrate. There is a pic of my tank in my gallery.

I currently have two bio-wheel 350's cleaning the water. On one left side in each bio-wheel I have some filter floss, and on the right side in each I have a bag with 50% carbon and 50% phospate remover. I also have a few bubble wands stranded together at the back of the aquarium so the whole back wall of the aquarium has bubbles going up it. I also have an ario large volcano that shoots out bubbles and has an led light in it. (It does look like real fire, pretty neat). Although I have quite a few fake plants in it all of them sway a little so I know I'm getting good flow throughout the aquarium. The fish aren't being blown around the aquarium and seem pretty happy.

With the 350's pouring out water into the tank, bubble wands, and volcano I have plenty of surface agitation so there is a lot of oxygen being delivered into the tank.

I've been reading about canisters and am thinking about getting one, but I can't really justify to myself that I need one if all my levels are near normal and the fish are happy, several of them have been in the tank for a few years.

Would it really buy me anything to use a canister instead of the two bio-wheels?

·
Reefer
213 Posts
Well I am mainly a saltwater guy... but im sure you have heard "if it aint broke dont fix it"... Canisters are fine and dandy in the beginning. The bad thing about the canister filters is that they dont remove the nitrates they just store them up in the filter until you maintenance it(a whole nother pain in the rear) with the seal having to stay perfect or you spring a leak and the whole tank emptys onto the floor. Personally with the parameters of your tank currently being perfect for you I would continue on doing what works.

·
Registered
232 Posts
AC are great filters. I would think as long as you are not having problems with the current set up don't change a thing. If you do go to a different filter, hook the new filter up and leave one of the bio wheels going for a month or in order to allow the new filter to cycle. Then you can remove the other filter. Do some water tests after that as you could still get a mini cycle. My lfs has AC110's on sale right now for $63.00. That would be a great filter for a 55g tank. I have one on a 75g community tank and it does great.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good deal, thanks for the replies. I just didn't know if getting a canister would buy me anything.. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts