Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. i'd just like to inform other aquarists about are method of biological protein skimming. here is what you do:
1) instead of going to your LFS to spend big money on a protein skimmer, head to your local super market.
2)go to the seafood section of the store.
3)pick up some frozen clams( # is based on the tank size. our 125 gal has 17, but we still need a few more clams).
4)the clams may seem dead once you get them, but just get in your car and head home(after paying for them, of course).
5)put the clams in your tank and watch as they come back to life.
6) as the clams filter feed, they clean the tank and also stir up the gravel as they dig.
7)test your water and see how your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level go down!

i think that anyone who needs a protein skimmer should think about clams instead. you would be saving the clams from being eaten and, in turn, keeping your tank clean.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:( any comments? we have been using them for very long, never-ever going near a protein skimmer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Well it's a neat idea but why do people who farm and raise the beautiful giant clams for reef tanks still use skimmers on their systems? If the clams really were removing that much stuff wouldn't the clam farmers water be unbelievably clean?

Anyone else want to chime in here for some added input on the clam method...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's the method my dad has always used, we had a banded shark for 2 years in a 75 gallon with about 12 clams. he died when the person who was helping us upgrade to a 125 gal used his bare hands to lift the shark out of the water, instead of following my dad's instruction of using a large fish net, and the shark was going nuts! he sooned died, and now we have had a much smaller shark in the 125 for almost a year with 17 clams. oh, and maybe giant clams don't clean as much as seafood clams. even if you don't believe me, it is still a good deed to save the little guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
No worries, I believe you that you use clams. I just don't think they are close to the effects of a good protein skimmer thats all. But hey... If it works for you then great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i would worry the supermarket would order even more though
i have seen some smaller clams sold as cleaner clams before, i wonder if they work as well

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes they can work at this task. I have used Tridacna and Hippo Clams in conjunction with Mangroves and Macro algae in a refugium on a large 300 gallon SPS Coral tank without a Skimmer and had excellent results water quality wise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts