Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone!i just bought a new tank, and a few fish to go with it.i set it up and was content with the way it looked.but the next morning i just found out that all of the fish died... i have a 5gal tank a 555 water filter and 5 small fish. what could have caused the fish to die? i need some help right now....please....

·
Registered
91 Posts
did you buy a test kit? test your water. you need to cycle the tank before you can expect your fish to live. what kind of fish were they, some are hearty and you can use them to cycle a tank and others you can't. did you use water conditioner after you filled the tank up and before you put the fish in? did it come with a heater? whats the temp set at? what kind of decorations, substrate? did you clean the tank with any chemicals before you filled it up? alot of different Factors since it seems you went out bought a tank filled it with water and tossed some fish in. :animated_fish_swimm

·
Registered
47 Posts
setting up a new tank this is what i do
1. wash gravel really well under warm water. you dont know what chemicals where used while they were being packaged

2. wash all your equipment in warm water. things such as heaters, tank, decorations, pumps, and other stuff.

3. treat the water with some water treatment stuff. chlorine nutralizer or whatever it is that people use.

4. i let it sit for a few days before i put some cheap fish to help cycle the tank and then after 2-3 weeks i put in the fish i intend to keep for a long time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The tank needs to be cycled first. Aquariums are whole eco-systems that need beneficial bacteria to help break down the fish waste so they don't burn their gills.

I don't suspect that is what happened to your fish though. Given how fast they passed, I'm suspecting they died from water shock.

If you did not test the water, condition it, or acclimate the fish from the water they came in to the water from your tap, then the PH difference, temperature difference, and metals and chemicals in your water likely killed them. It is very important when buying new fish to test your water and get the parameters to as close to what they need as possible, and then acclimate them slowly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
^Yeah what they said^

Rapid change in Temp, pH, etc plus possible exposure to chlorine, nitrogen saturation or what ever else might be in your tap water(if you didnt treat it) are the likely culprits.

Do as i4ue suggested and read up on the nitrogen cycle with or without fish before you try adding fish again.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here with us. Sorry to here about all your fish. Any updates?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts