Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can male betta's be placed with other fish?:betta:

Thanks for reading,Kayla

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have heard you want to stay away from any fin nippers and any other fish that look similar to a betta to avoid fighting. Maybe neon tetras.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
It depends on the size of the tank and the betta itself. I have had some bettas that liked their tank mates very well but others would not stand for any other fish in with them. They generally, especially the males, do not do well with other fish. They may accept an otocinclus catfish or if the tank is at least 15 gallons 3 cories but they may hassle them and chase them until they scare them to death.

It would be my recommendation that if you betta is happy alone that you let him be alone. He is not used to company and does not get lonesome. He would have a bigger chance of being upset by having another fish in there than by not having one.

Relax, Kayla, he is getting to know you and already gave you a bubble nest.

Neon tetras are fin nippers you do not want them. If you decide you must have a tank mate the following are good choices:

Otocinclus catfish are the best All my bettas that had them seemed to accept them but they are nocturnal and do not come out much during the day.

Cories of any kind but since they need to be kept in 3's or more you need a bigger tank like at least 15 gallons.

Right now I have Kuhli loaches in with my betta and he likes them but if you have a tempermental little guy he may nip them. You can have them in anything above 5 gallons per loach and you can have a single if you must but at least two are better so that means 10 gallons.

I have also had: Dwarf or Chain Loaches (expensive); Apple or Mystery Snail (one ONLY per tank); and a small pleco called a Clown Pleco (not a clown loach). But my tanks are big, 12 gallons and over so with a very small tank the Otocinclus is the only one I would recommend and then only one. If you make that choice my only recommendation would be to find someone that has an aquarium that has a lot of plants and see if you can beg one off them. Buying them from a petstore will almost certainly fill your tank with tagalong pond snails and infest your tank with them. They are a nuisance and always make me very angry. My favorite vendor of plants sent me some plants not long ago and while I never had a problem with their plants before I have two tanks full of tiny snails and it will be a long while before I buy there again.

Rose

:betta:

Reactions: cottoncandy946

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oo i see well i only have a 5 gallon and Bubba seems very happy alone so i think ill keep him alone. Thank you sooo much for your awesome adivice, Hope your day is awesome!!

Thanks So Much, Kayla

·
Registered
285 Posts
Male Betta's are able to be in with tetras. Mainly the ones that don't have LONG fins or very bright.

Like don't go for Neon tetras especially. Mainly because they do give up a brilliant coloration when the light is on in the tank and I guess Betta fishes don't like them.

You can go for Black Skirt Tetras, or Phantom Tetras. Depending on if the Black Skirts will have longer fins that will develop later on.. but if they don't (depending on their genetics) then your Betta will be fine with them.

Barbs and/or Angel fishes are fin nippers. I wouldn't recommend you to get those. Since barbs are species that will fin nip. Angels when they get bigger will be fin nippers too.

Male Betta's are best to stay in with community fishes that don't have wavy/long fins or are very bright in color. Also, aggressive fishes such as Cichlids, Oscar, or even Convicts aren't going to be very good either.

I hope I gave the right information :) I've been told a lot about Betta's a lot lately :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got my betta in a 29 gallon tank with about 25lbs of bowl rock and about 70 pounds of river rock.
I also have:
2 cobalt blue gouramis
1 5" gold gourami
5 blue flame tetras
2 german blue rams
2 bolivian rams
1 blue lobster
10 ghost shrimp
2 kribensis cichlids

they all seem to get along pretty well, but it's not something I'd recommend for a beginner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've got my betta in a 29 gallon tank with about 25lbs of bowl rock and about 70 pounds of river rock.
I also have:
2 cobalt blue gouramis
1 5" gold gourami
5 blue flame tetras
2 german blue rams
2 bolivian rams
1 blue lobster
10 ghost shrimp
2 kribensis cichlids

they all seem to get along pretty well, but it's not something I'd recommend for a beginner.
I am no expert, but that seems a bit cramped for a 29 gallon. I could be wrong though. None of your fish are stressed? I would think your 5" Gold would be stressed a little in a 29gal.:fish-in-a-bag:

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also have:
2 cobalt blue gouramis
1 5" gold gourami
5 blue flame tetras
2 german blue rams
2 bolivian rams
1 blue lobster
10 ghost shrimp
2 kribensis cichlids

Cool 25 fishes :) I've got about 15 fishes :) they are pretty much dwarf fishes (small ones that won't grow really big) except for my angel, blue gourami, and pleco. I don't know if Oto cats grow big though..

I have one I guess "rare" dwarf Curviceps cichlid but I don't know if it is dwarf because my pet store rarely gets them in haha!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am no expert, but that seems a bit cramped for a 29 gallon. I could be wrong though. None of your fish are stressed? I would think your 5" Gold would be stressed a little in a 29gal.:fish-in-a-bag:
Nah, my gold gourami is enjoying the upgrade from the 10G he was in. Hey, don't look at me that way, he came with the tank! Anyway, he just hangs out in cave, and only comes out if I put new fish in or if some fish are fighting. The others seem to have territories pretty well marked out, and the betta seems to hold his own as well. He likes to drift from the hornwort floating on the top to a small grotto in the back, to under the filter, and back to the hornwort.

Anyway, my fish seem pretty chill, no fin nipping, my tetras don't school very closely, and all my fishes color is very bright, so I don't think they're very stressed. I'm planning on adding more bowl rock to add more territory space, but not until I get my java fern and christmas moss well established. I hate hornwort, but it's keeping the nitrates down at the moment :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would consider buying a bigger tank, and separate that stock. I havent found anyone that thinks that setup is acceptable. Everyone is telling me its extremely overstocked. I feel sorry for those fish.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would consider buying a bigger tank, and separate that stock. I havent found anyone that thinks that setup is acceptable. Everyone is telling me its extremely overstocked. I feel sorry for those fish.
Are you sure? underdog might not want to get a new tank though... since they do cost a lot of money and he's happy with a bigger tank. Like he said that the gold gourami is happy now :)

I've had 8 small fishes in my 10 gallon before, but then I quickly upgraded to a 29 gallon and then I moved them in there one by one day by day. My Betta was the first to be moved in along with my pleco and my amazon swords.

How many fishes do you have in your tanks ELewandowski?

( I meant how many fishes do you have in all of your tanks in your entire house altogether)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are you sure? underdog might not want to get a new tank though... since they do cost a lot of money and he's happy with a bigger tank. Like he said that the gold gourami is happy now :)

I've had 8 small fishes in my 10 gallon before, but then I quickly upgraded to a 29 gallon and then I moved them in there one by one day by day. My Betta was the first to be moved in along with my pleco and my amazon swords.

How many fishes do you have in your tanks ELewandowski?

( I meant how many fishes do you have in all of your tanks in your entire house altogether)
Well, it sure does sound like a cramped tank to me. I would love to see a pic.

I have 3 tanks with fish in them currently. I have a 29gal with 6 Exodons and 3 cory cats.

And i have a 55gal with 1 juvi red belly piranha.

and 1 10 gal with 3 cory cats

·
Registered
192 Posts
not trying to get your panties in a bunch, just cant seem to find anyone that will tell me its good for the fish having them so cramped. I mean, you said yourself, you had 8 in a 10 gal and quickly upgraded them to a 29gal. So you yourself wouldn't even do it.

idk, maybe im too honest with my opinions for this forum.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, it sure does sound like a cramped tank to me. I would love to see a pic.

I have 3 tanks with fish in them currently. I have a 29gal with 6 Exodons and 3 cory cats.

And i have a 55gal with 1 juvi red belly piranha.

and 1 10 gal with 3 cory cats
Yeah I agree too :) pictures would be great :):pics: Aren't Exodons aggressive?? like a Piranha?

I've never raised piranha's before mainly because I had to "fish sit" before like taking care of them when my friend was in Spain... so he had this huge 125 gallon tank with 10 5" piranhas, and when I gave them food they pretty much jumped up in the air. I don't know if they were trying to aim for my fingers or the food, but I finally had to throw in some shrimp and other stuff from far away to avoid them from trying to take a chomp out of my fingers :S

Even worst was doing a water change or doing a gravel wash. I had to put a separator in the tank so then the piranhas were on one side and then do the same thing again just move them to the other side that was already siphoned.

Do you have plants in your big piranha tank?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yes, the exodons are aggressive, but there is only 6 of them, so not overly aggressive. The piranha tank is not planted, has a piece of driftwood in it. Its easy having only predators for me, because i can feed them all the same food. And the cory cats seem to love the food too.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, the exodons are aggressive, but there is only 6 of them, so not overly aggressive. The piranha tank is not planted, has a piece of driftwood in it. Its easy having only predators for me, because i can feed them all the same food. And the cory cats seem to love the food too.
Oh I see.

I have some pictures to show you. I don't know if you'll like them but I tried my best to make the plants as green as possible :)

And this was my planted tank before:

I have a lot more of the current ones now because most of my fishes died out because of old age :(

That's all :) I only have the 10 an 29 not the other tanks since they are pretty much all over the house and I hate walking all over my house :p it's HUGE though xD

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I also have:
2 cobalt blue gouramis
1 5" gold gourami
5 blue flame tetras
2 german blue rams
2 bolivian rams
1 blue lobster
10 ghost shrimp
2 kribensis cichlids

It is a wonder that betta is still alive with all those gouramis in the tank. They are related to it and it is not a good idea to have them all together. Then to have the ghost shrimp in there too with him is not the best idea. When they molt they will probably start being lunch and dinner. There is not one fish in that tank that is technically compatible with a betta and then a lobster too. You have had luck but I am not sure that I would recommend this combination to a beginner or even someone advanced who loves their fish.

Rose

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a wonder that betta is still alive with all those gouramis in the tank. They are related to it and it is not a good idea to have them all together. Then to have the ghost shrimp in there too with him is not the best idea. When they molt they will probably start being lunch and dinner. There is not one fish in that tank that is technically compatible with a betta and then a lobster too. You have had luck but I am not sure that I would recommend this combination to a beginner or even someone advanced who loves their fish.

Rose
I agree, the ghost shrimp were a bad idea. I last saw one a few days ago, but since then, nothing :/

Other than that, my fish are getting along well, and nobody messes with the betta, which is pretty much all I could ask for. The different species tend to stick loosely to each other, but also tend to mingle. Guess I just have pacifist fish :)

And I understand what you're saying, that you think that I don't love my fish...
I care for them, and would never put them in a stressful situation just for the heck of it. I added fish slowly, and in a specific order, so as to minimize stress and maximize pre-established dominance (who was in the tank when I added the next set of fish)

I did:

betta and gold gourami
then a week later, the blue flame tetras
then a week later, the rams
then a few days later, the kribensis and cobalt gouramis
then 2 days later, the lobster (not for dominance purposes, just because that was when I decided to get him, instead of waiting)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts