Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just brought home my betta today. He is a two inch long plakat male. He was the largest male in the store and far to big for the display bowl they had him in.
He is extremely happy, active and very inquisitive. He is settling into his new 5gallon aquarium rather well. His aquarium has minimal decoration and has a sand bottom.
I am trying to plan out what tank mates may be best for him in the future. I don’t want to add anything with two much colour to the tank and I want a tank mate that can help keep the aquarium clean.
The store suggested either a pair of panda cory cats or a trio of ghost shrimp. The person in the store didn’t sound overly confident in her recommendations though so I though i would see what everyone else would suggest.
Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just brought home my betta today. He is a two inch long plakat male. He was the largest male in the store and far to big for the display bowl they had him in.
He is extremely happy, active and very inquisitive. He is settling into his new 5gallon aquarium rather well. His aquarium has minimal decoration and has a sand bottom.
I am trying to plan out what tank mates may be best for him in the future. I don’t want to add anything with two much colour to the tank and I want a tank mate that can help keep the aquarium clean.
The store suggested either a pair of panda cory cats or a trio of ghost shrimp. The person in the store didn’t sound overly confident in her recommendations though so I though i would see what everyone else would suggest.
Hi! The Fish Lady here!😃 nice to meet you, ma'am!😃
How exciting!
I believe Tetras would go nicely for what you have in mind and there are several varieties for you to choose from too!😃 you should school them though because I know if you do them they'll be more capable to acclimate then!😃
You are totally correct about nothing "too bright and colorful", hon, that's a very good idea as well. Nothing with too long of fins either because what I know about Bettas is they are fin nippers. Ohhh!😃 and, Brushel pletcos are great too! And, they stay on the smaller size.
I do hope this info helps out, Sweetie, but it's your aquarium and you do what's best for it!😃 post pictures when you are through for it's ALWAYS exciting to see the finished project!😃

·
Registered
321 Posts
This is a 5 gal tank. no plecos are small enough, and not really enough room for tetras to school and would take a chance at nipping betta.
Hi!
I apologize... I thought she said that she had a larger one...
Then, you are most definitely correct, hon. Actually, I'd just have plants and the Betta fish then...😃

·
Registered
Bronze Corydora (5) Neon Tetra (7) Plakat Betta (1)
11 Posts
In a 5gal I'd say maybe a few shrimp or a snail. But if you upgrade to say anything bigger than 10gallons you could look at tetras and suckermouth catfish perhaps?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hi! The Fish Lady here!😃 nice to meet you, ma'am!😃
How exciting!
I believe Tetras would go nicely for what you have in mind and there are several varieties for you to choose from too!😃 you should school them though because I know if you do them they'll be more capable to acclimate then!😃
You are totally correct about nothing "too bright and colorful", hon, that's a very good idea as well. Nothing with too long of fins either because what I know about Bettas is they are fin nippers. Ohhh!😃 and, Brushel pletcos are great too! And, they stay on the smaller size.
I do hope this info helps out, Sweetie, but it's your aquarium and you do what's best for it!😃 post pictures when you are through for it's ALWAYS exciting to see the finished project!😃
Hi everyone,
Hi, Cynder!!😃
How are you and your babies doing? What did you ever decide on? I was sooo excited for you, hon!😃

1 - 8 of 8 Posts