Aquarium Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
beginner freshwater planted aquarium
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new fishkeeper. I have a 10 gallon planted tank and I monitor my fish like a hawk for changes. My betta has been pretty healthy, good appetite. He doesnt like my water current but its as low as I can go for a 10 gallon. Today I said goodmorning to him and while he was eating his betta food I noticed to my alarm some small discolored patches on his fin. I started freaking out, Im doing daily water changes because my tank has just begun to cycle , I now have nitrites and nitrates and although the test strips show them to be in safe levels, I have heard numerous times that the only safe level of nitrites is 0 so I continue my 33-50 percent water changes. I live in China so using the tap water is a no no. I have been buying mineral water and conditioning it for a few hours before adding to the tank.

TLDR version - from this picture should I be alarmed? I have aquarium salt on hand but reluctant to use it if not necessary. My local fish store owner says Im being too paranoid and that the betta is fine but id like a second opinion. Thank you for your help

Attachments

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok update, it was a stressful day o_O. In the end I got a quarantine tank, which I added used filter media from the store owner in the hope it had to be better than a fresh filter media. He gave me some yellow powder, advised 1 spoon (provided) for 100 litres, this tank was 25 litres so I used a quarter spoon. Im thinking it may be too little but I will follow the instructions. The betta is pissed he is now in an empty , bare tank.

Attachments

· Registered
133 Posts
Hello, I am a knowledgeable, but inexperienced fish keeper, having primarily focused on African Cichlids for quite some time. I do not understand why he would be ill. Your tank is in excellent condition. Your picture is blurry. Those odd discolorations look strange.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for the reply, I was in full panic mode haha. I've had rocky (my betta) in the hospital tank for 2 days now. He seems quite happy, probably because my nitrites and nitrates are spiking in the main tank and the hospital tank is super clean and warm. I'm doing daily water changes half tank at a time. I also have the API master test kit now.

However I've been using the low dose yellow powder and his tail hasn't changed, still the same spots in the same places, no bigger no smaller. So I think you may be right that its a scrape on his tail. In a day or two when the nitrites have gone back down to 0 I will reintroduce him to his actual planted tank and monitor. Thanks for the advice and thoughts guys.

· Registered
133 Posts
There isn't much of a difference between the API master test kit and the TOP FIN test kit. I think the TOP FIN test kit is cheaper by $20.00. The API test kit is very expensive, typically going for $50.00. There isn't much of a difference. I think it is beneficial to be very concerned about your fish's health.

· MOD
9,081 Posts
Ebay 35.98

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ebay 35.98
I got the master test kit a few days ago, hard to find in China. It was just in time to see my tank becoming cycled, on the third day of testing I finally got 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites. But nitrates are staying around 10/20ppm even with daily water changes , but Im naking a seperate post for that :unsure:. Thanks everyone

· Registered
702 Posts
My tank registers a steady 10-20 Nitrate. That is not a bad thing. I'd say hang tight with the water changes and let it develop.
How many fish do you have again? Just the Betta?
Cheers on the cycled tank :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts