Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 10 gallon tank (perhaps 30 in the spring) with two blue paradise gouramis, two sunburst mollies and 1 tiger barb (poor buggers friends died..)
Not purchasing for a while, have to get water under control, but would like to start my research.
What type of algae eating fish would be best for the tank? Pleco? Cat Fish? Fresh Water Shrimp?
Any input would help:)
Thank you!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would take care of that Tiger Barb first, but for that tank an Otocinclus or two would do fine. It will be a little cramped in there though... might want to wait for a bigger home.

Plecostomus are too big for your tank, unless you go rubber-lip, and even those get six inches or so...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am willing to upscale. Like i said, i am looking for a 50 gallon tank to move my current 30 gallon residents to (getting so big!), and these 5 fish may move to a bigger tank.... how big does a chinese algae eater get? same with an oto?

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Chinese get about 6in and supposedly are a little more aggressive. Personally I think they are the most hardy and definately the most active.
Otos are only about an inch and a half full grown. They have a little bit nicer coloration than the chinese, but they are a little more touchy and less active.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, i have a very lazy, chubby pleco in my large tank, so i am use to inactive algae eaters...
you say the chinese algae eater are more hardy? do they adjust to all changes well?

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
busheynose plecos only get 5 inches long.... get a male and female (males have bristles on the whole nose, females only have it around the edges) and you might eventually get babies!

·
Goodwill Ambassador
377 Posts
I like my new little algae eating goby (Stiphdon elegans sp.). They only get to be about 1.75 inches long. Also my bristlnose are very industrious and seem to be growing slowly.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
For a 10 gal tank, go with 3 Otto's, I know you say your going to upgrade your tank but if you don't have the tank, than for animals safety you should not get fish that will require you to get a bigger tank. You never know what going to happen in life or even if you really going to get a bigger tank.

Just to clear up the size on an Golden Algea Eater (Chinese) they get about 12"'s in captivity, not sure where Eagle getting his info from but I've housed these fish and they get a foot long in about a year and a half.

·
Catch and Release
263 Posts
Just to clear up the size on an Golden Algea Eater (Chinese) they get about 12"'s in captivity, not sure where Eagle getting his info from but I've housed these fish and they get a foot long in about a year and a half.
WOW, thats huge. I can't even imagine them getting that big. My grandpa has had 2 in a 75g for about a year and a half now, but they are only about 4 in. They sure have a long way to go.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Will all mine have been a foot long... I'm guessing the rate might reflex the food they eat. as they also will clean up leftovers and I feed mainly blood worms and algea waffers to insure that are getting enough algea in there diets. As, a clean tank should have very little aglea for any aglea eating fish.

Just so you know Wikipedia is not the best source for information as it writen by every day people, not scientists and the info has not been researched to be correct or factual. I perfer to use a fish atlas and personal experience, or trusted publishcations and journals.

·
Registered
756 Posts
For a small tank I would go with Otos. They eat mostly brown algae, but they help keep the tank clean. For a larger tank I would suggest a bristlenose pleco or my personal preference would be a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE). These are a bit harder to find but they eat all kinds of algae.

I would stay away from chinese algae eaters. I have never actually seen one get 12"...most around 3-4", but they are not that great at eating algae and many have been know to chase other fish because they prefer to eat the slime coat on the fish.

BTW, I would love to see a picture of a 12" chinese algae eater.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like I am a bit late since you decided on the otos, but I would have recommended cory catfish....quick little buggers, only growing to about 2" but they are always active! Oh yea, I am a new member as of today and am looking forward to other members' input while building another freshwater or even saltwater in a 55 gal tank. Good luck to you! Indigoice

1 - 20 of 30 Posts