Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I am in planning stages for a new 29 gallon community tank set up, and in the need for an internal filter. After 13 years out of the hobby, I'm a bit overwhelmed by the filter model choices. Previously on a 29 gallon, I've used UGF and a Penguin with Bio Wheel.

UGF is definitely out and I want the tank as close to the wall as possible so a traditional HOB power filter is out of the question. Also I wanted to keep lines, cords and hoses to a minimum outside of the tank. So my choices seem limited to under the cabinet canisters or an internal model.

So far I have researched the Fluval Plus series, the Tetra Whisper Internal, Current USA Subcurrent, Eheim Aquaball, and the Penn-Plax Cascade Internal.

I'm leaning toward the Cascade 600 internal (175gph), but can't find any reviews for this product. It appeals mostly because generic media can be used its chambers whereas the others might be difficult to load with bulk media.

I would appreciate any input toward these choices or perhaps someone has a better model in mind. I really didn't want to go canister, but find the Rena Xp2 reasonable. I just need to keep the hose profiles down on the canopy.

The planned tank will not be overstocked or heavily planted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Ken

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have an XP2 and Xp3 in my 100 gallon tank, and they work very well. Have you also considered sponge filters? I used them with no problems in a 55 gal. angel tank. They would be economical and allow you to have your tank against the wall. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts