Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
service cart captain
80 Posts
Angelfish or guppies !

Especially guppies if you have limited resources .
Imported angelfish are usually in poor condition so those bred locally are always in demand by lfs's .

Just be sure that you can legaly breed tropical fish to sell in your state .
In my state , I can import fish to wholesale but it is unlawfull to breed them . The reason is that there is no aquaculture legislation in place to govern this type of practice here .

·
Registered
14 Posts
whats the best freshwater that you can breed for lots of profit if you have limited space and budget
Hi Shrimp,

Where are you from?

If you are aiming for profitability, I would suggest you try indigenous species. The reason is quite simple really. Indigenous species won't need a big heating bill to be kept. Then aim for the export market. The problem is ofcourse that with tropical countries, the guys can literally toss in a pair of anything in the pool in their gardens and it will breed. So it is difficult to compete with those exporters as they have very little costs.

Other than that your question is a bit like asking how can become a millionaire quickly without putting in a lot of effort :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Breeding fish is very very easy... raising fry to a salable size quickly, cheaply, and without deformities or stunting... difficult and very very very labor intensive.

of course, for the local breeder, angelfish would be a great way to start.

if you want a good price, never sell your culls ('cause the LFS will want everything for the cull price) and don't overcrowd in grow-out tanks (this will lead to fin deformities and less value for your fish)

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh yeah, one more thing... limited space is not conducive to growing fish... sorry.

shrimp may be an option worth concidering...

·
Registered
36 Posts
bristle nose sucker fish are a great money maker
people always want those

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have asked the same question concerning cichlids. If you buy a good stran of something with alot of wild in them, they sell really good. There are quite a few cichlids selling on ebay from $15-40!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I would start with Angel fishes, or Guppies, there both are easy to raise, and are a good start.

If you want to take it further, and you have more experience with raising fish fry, then you can move onto cichlids, tetras, and oscars.

I hope to have a male and female angel fish, so then I can get them to have babies, and I will put them in my 200 gallon tank :) there they will be as big as a 2 dollar coin.

If you want to sell smaller angels then I suggest you sell them at a low price like 10 cents for 10 small angels, or a dozen for 1.20.

Guppies I would sell cheaper, like 10 cents for 20 small ones :) or 10 cents each like the Angels, but most people don't sell the guppies for 10 cents each unless your a money grubber which will corrupt your mind..

So if your thinking of starting with raising fishes, just try with Guppies, or Angels, if you have one of them in your tank, try and identify which ones are male or female.

I hope that helps :) and if you need anymore help.. please email me whenever you want, and I will make sure that I can get back to you ASAP.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts