Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning! I didn't see any questions similar to mine, so if I'm asking any old questions, please let me know.

I'm interested in building up a new fish project. I recently purchased a 5-gallon tank. The only residents to date are two small goldfish (one comet, one fancy, both less than 1"). As I understand it, the current tank will be okay until the goldfish grow bigger.

As far as making a community goes, what can I safely add? I've been reading about ghost shrimp, other goldfish and female bettas. I've had female bettas with my goldfish already and they had no problems together in a smaller tank.

I'm by no means an expert, but I read a lot. I understand that the good rule for fish is to reserve about 1" of fish per gallon. Can I inexpensively and safely build up the potential for aquatic life by adding plants or different/ multiple filters?

In summary: Can my five-gallon tank hold any more than two goldfish?
How fast do goldfish generally grow?
How do freshwater invertebrates (ghost shrimp) work with the 1" of fish per gallon rule? I've read that fish will eat anything that can fit into their mouths, are there "friendly" fish that might not eat each other? Are a few fish and shrimp going to crowd my 5G tank?

Thank you for reading
-Blue

·
Registered
192 Posts
for now you are ok, but goldfish need very large tanks as i understand. Ghost shrimp will be ok in a 5 gal tank, and maybe some neon tetras after the gold fish leave the tank. But for now its prolly maxed out wiht 2 golds in there. 5 gal is a small tank. I would suggest a 10gal for a starter tank with a male betta or something.

But to add to your 5gal with your goldfish. I would say ghost shrimp would be fine in there.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Only problem i see as of right now is that goldfish are very messy fish.With only 5 gallon tank to keep it healthy you will have to constantly work on it.10 gallon is ok for starters with a cpl goldfish but still it is to small.But fine for starting out!Remember the bigger the tank the easier to maintain.The key to a healthy tank is all about filtration.If you are really interested in this hobby a must have is a good test kit.I recomend API Master test kit.Runs about 25 bucks.Never use test strips.As ELewandowski stated you probably are ok for now but you will need a bigger tank very very soon:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts