Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to this forum and to the hobby and I have some questions about tank cleaning. I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 white clouds, 5 x-ray tetras, and 3 peppered corys. The tank is right in the middle of cycling. My ammonia is now at zero, the nitrites have spiked but are stabilizing, and my nitrates are at an acceptable level. I am testing daily.

The fish are doing great-all are very active and very hungry. I carefully monitor them when I feed them and everyone is eating. I feed them flakes, frozen brine shrimp every 4 days, and bloodworms occasionally. I am currently doing a 20% water change once a week. I add dechlorinator (of course) as well as aquarium salt and let the water stand for 24 hours. I vacuum the gravel while I siphon out the water and debris is minimal. The corys do a great job.

A couple questions. What about the ornaments? I haven't scrubbed them in fear of killing the bacterial colonies. Is it advisable to not clean them? Also, is there anything I'm not doing that I should be doing? My tank looks great right now, but I haven't had it that long. I want it to continue looking great. Any advice would be extremely welcomed. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
First when you gravel vac you should be doing it in a four section pattern. (which a tank is cycling I don't gravel vac) divide the footprint of the tank (the bottom) into four section, each week do a different section, after the four week you vac. the tank completely. This will insure that you have a strong Bac. Colony, as far as cleaning the fakes plants and other ornaments, no leave them alone, it makes them look more real.

I would alos get a couple of Otto Cats for you tank as part of you cleanning crew. You real close to being overstocked in a 10gal tank, so weekly WC are very important. you may want to get a small maga float for cleanning the glass of any algea.

Depending on what tyype of filter you have just make sure it cleaned monthly as will

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the advice. I have real plants. Does that make a difference? And, if the store I go to doesn't have otto cats, are algae eaters a good substitute? I know I'm close to being overstocked so I want to be choosy if I do decide to add more fish. Thanks again! :D

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Now is the season for otto's so any chain store petco petsmart will have them.... they come form amazone and are only caught during the rainy season, because that when they breed....... the Siamese Algea Eater(I'm guessing this is what you mean) is not a good fish for a small tank, it will grow to 12" and will stop eating algea as soon as it learns you will delivering food everyday......Otto's only get to be about 1/2" to 3/4" and they only eat algea... they eat 23 hours it seems in my tanks. another problem that sometimes occurs with the Siamese Alge Eater, is they become aggresive to tank mates. Otto are perfect for peaceful tanks. Also stay away from Golden Alge eater as will they get to quite large 12" as will. For tanks of any size otto cats are the perfect fish for any community tank. They will not eat hair algea, but very few fish do mollies, Florida Flag Fish and Alamo Shrimp and ghost shrimp, can take can of that, but than you are limited on addtions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will check with Petsmart to see if they have any ottos yet. Should I wait until my tank is fully cycled before adding any fish? I also heard that having live plants reduces the amount of algae growth. I do have live plants so would I be starving the ottos or do I supplement their diet with algae tablets?

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
live plants use the same thing as algea so getting agood balance with ferts.... I would get a small bag of the waffers just put one in every week to make sure they are getting a will rounded diet..... Yeah you should wait for the cycle and when you add them to the tank turn off the lights for the day, will help with the stress with these little fish and they won't die on you because of it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts