Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing through my LFS looking for some accessories/new fish for my 55g FW tank. As I was walking around, I noticed a display for a few tanks which immediately got me curious about finally getting a SW tank.

I have had my 55g up and running successfully since February. I wanted a SW for such a long time, but after the many weeks of research, I decided that FW would be much cheaper as well as easier (also helping me realize if I would still be interested in it down the road). So here was the "sale" going on:

3 gallon nano (with light, I think 7,400 actinic, and filter) with live rock and corals - $119

8 gallon biocube with 6lbs live rock and corals - $259

14 gallon biocube with 7lbs live rock and corals - $299

Again, I have never owned a SW tank, but I have read that the smaller the tank, the more diligent you have to be when taking care of it. What is your opinion on the situation?

Also, I will most likely be moving in about 8 months (not sure how much this will effect anything, or should I wait until I am done moving?)

***[types of coral and their size, or how many were not listed]***

·
Registered
264 Posts
well i think the 14 will be better. considering that your moving i would wait till after the move. it will take a couple or months to acclimate the tank before you will be getting it to do what you want to it. but once you get the tank started beware it is very addicting.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
The larger the tank, basically, the easier it is to maintain. This is because the parameters won't fluctuate as much. Temperature will be more stable, pH will be more stable, and impurities will be diluted better. Plus overstocking is a concern with every tank, and its easier to overstock a smaller tank than a larger one. You will have a better impression of the hobby and better experiences with a larger tank.
Regarding your upcoming move, being 8 months away - maybe go for it now and deal with that then. Moving isn't that big of a deal if you plan accordingly and prepare for the move many days and weeks in advance. I just moved recently and it's not fun moving a large setup but you'll get it accomplished. You can drain the water into new, clean gas cans and take it with you. You should see how many gas cans I have, its absolutely insane. But they are easy to transport when full of water. :)
Would be happy to provide advice when its time for you to move if you opt to set the reef up now. Best of luck with it and enjoy your new tank!

·
Registered
259 Posts
well, in the case of SW id go with a smaller thank.. 14-29g

1 - 5 of 5 Posts