Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was looking to get some advice on taking care of my goldfish. I've had many other tropical fish but this is my first goldfish.

My friend won this common feeder fish at a carnival. She left it in the tiny plastic container for a few days and I could tell it wasn't doing well so I adopted it. I placed it in a 2 gallon tank because thats all I had on hand and I knew I had to act quickly. The poor guy started showing ammonia burns all over and I was afraid he wouldn't make it. I've been making 50% water changes every few days and he's doing great now! All the black spots are gone. He's active and he seems to know me and eats right from my hand!

So obviously I need to invest in a bigger fish tank. I know fancy goldfish need at least 20 gallons but does that apply to the common ones too or could I pass with a 10g?
Also, he seems very lonely so I'd like to get him a friend. I was thinking another common goldfish would be best but I worry about them not getting along or ending up with babies everywhere. Any advice? But I also don't think I can get a tank bigger than 20 g so that might limit my options.

Any advice would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Goldfish can grow quite large and are a huge bio-load.

Most recomendations say the smallest tank for most Goldfish should be 30 gallons, including common Goldfish.
A pair of common Goldfish in a 30 gallon would be fine for a while, but even at this, would probably need a larger home at some point in the future.

Proper sizing (oversizing) of the filtration system is recommended for Goldfish along with weekly large water changes.

Welcome to the forum! *w3

·
Registered
60 Posts
1 should do ok in a 20g for a year or so. Think most of my comets are around 12inch mark, and about 3 years old. (pond fish) instead of a 20g you could find a clear Rubbermaid thing, it's cheaper and more room for the fish and if u get a good sized one u can have a nice indoor pond

·
OBSESSED with carp
20 Posts
Hello, I was looking to get some advice on taking care of my goldfish. I've had many other tropical fish but this is my first goldfish.

My friend won this common feeder fish at a carnival. She left it in the tiny plastic container for a few days and I could tell it wasn't doing well so I adopted it. I placed it in a 2 gallon tank because thats all I had on hand and I knew I had to act quickly. The poor guy started showing ammonia burns all over and I was afraid he wouldn't make it. I've been making 50% water changes every few days and he's doing great now! All the black spots are gone. He's active and he seems to know me and eats right from my hand!

So obviously I need to invest in a bigger fish tank. I know fancy goldfish need at least 20 gallons but does that apply to the common ones too or could I pass with a 10g?
Also, he seems very lonely so I'd like to get him a friend. I was thinking another common goldfish would be best but I worry about them not getting along or ending up with babies everywhere. Any advice? But I also don't think I can get a tank bigger than 20 g so that might limit my options.

Any advice would help. Thanks!
I know this is kind of an old thread, but you should have a 40 gallon at least. You can get a 40 gallon at petco for $40 right now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Many people do not realize that goldfish are carp. Outdoors pond fish. They get big. The rule I got from a Goldfish forum was only for fancy (short bodied) gf. That was 20 for the first, 10 for each one after.

Remember that you do have more options for your GF depending on your living conditions. A stock tank in the garage or basement for instance. Some people use large rubbermaid tubs or buckets. I saw one person who kept fish in a spare bathtub.

The whole idea of aquariums is for the amusement of the people who like to watch the fish. In nature, nowhere is there a glass sided pond. It is more natural to keep fish in a dark sided container. So if it takes you a year to save up for an appropriate tank, then you can keep them in a bucket with adiquate filtration.

Also look at Petco's dollar per gallon sale. You can get a 40 for 40 bucks! Look at craigslist, yard sales. There are plenty of people out there with old aquariums in their garages gathering dust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts