Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight when I was feeding my fish, I was surprised to see, emerging from a clump of dwarf hairgrass, what appeared to be a pair of eyeballs with a tail. As I watched, another emerged, followed by another, and then another. About a month ago, my wife discovered balloon mollies, and fell in love with them. We purchased two, one of which was incredibly "fat". We joked that it looked pregnant. I think maybe it was!

I've looked up pictures of balloon molly fry, and they look exactly like what I have in my tank. I've counted four for sure, there may be more hiding in there somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you are most likely right about what you have seen, mollies give birth to live young and frequently in large tanks, the first time i bought mollies i was told i was buying balloon mollies but overnight they lost a lot of weight and i gained a lot more fish...however within a week most of the fry had been eaten by the other mollies. if you want to keep them make sure your tank is well planted so they can hide from the bigger fish or if it happens again try to catch the mother and place her in a breeder box before she gives birth then remove her and let the babies grow a bit in the breeder box....hope that helps
Bbwaldner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts