Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Greetings from Austin Texas. I took down my 30 gal long and 20 gal set up eighteen years ago after about five years of enjoying the hobby.

Of all things to get me interested in aquariums again it was a silly game called "Happy Aquarium" on face book.

I started browsing Craigs List until a deal showed up and bought a 40 gallon hex, wooden stand, base gravel, Bio wheel 200B, heater, master test kit, misc chemicals and food all for $50.00.

The tank had been emptied five days before I picked it up. I soaked and rinsed the gravel throughly, scrubbed the tank inside and out with a vinegar/water solution. I soaked all the equipment in a vinegar/water solution, scrubbed it, rinsed throughly.

I filled the tank with water and let it sit overnight to check for leaks. No leaks at all. I then went to Pet Smart and bought some artifical plants, (spent more for this stuff than the aquarium!) rounded up some rocks and aquascaped the tank.

It has been setup and running since Friday 7/16/10. Now I'm going to try the fishless cycling.

I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way and it's great to have a place like this. Twenty years ago I was pretty much on my own. I knew enough to add stuff to remove chlorine and to have the proper temp. I also knew enough to to know that Big Fish + Little fish = no little fish.

Anyway just wanted to do a quick intro and say hello to ya'all.

Bob

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you here.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Welcome to the forum! And glad to have a former hobby member back in the game. Also glad to hear you're going the fishless cycling route; are you using ammonia?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts