Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My school (South Plantation High School) is starting an aquarium club that I am going to be a part of! My Biology teacher is and expert on Saltwater tanks, though, but I talked to him and told him that I would like to do a freshwater "division" of the club with the help of GCAS. I am also taking part in the aquaculture program and am donating some guppies to help the gene pool for the wild type guppies they have. The program has three ten foot wide round ponds for different fish that are currently empty. I want to make one into a Malawi Breeding pond, the fry of which could be introduced to the Flamingo gardens Pond Project!

So, What do you guys think??? are you willing to help and possibly donate some equipment we may need? I'm very excited to be helping at the school! By the way, If you guys want to see pictures of what the school has for the ponds, just say so!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Danny, this is something that should be presented to the board and to the members of the club at the next meeting.... IMO

Only a very small percent of our club membership us this site. I would be interested in helping personallly with anything I can.... maybe we can do a GCAS out resach program. LOL

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool; should I mention it at the next meeting?

P.S. are we meeting at Flamingo Gardens, or the usual place next meeting? If we are meeting at "FG," then how do we enter?

·
Registered
141 Posts
hey danny sound good what do you need as far as equipment and what africans are you thinking about remeber that we can probable get africas for free or very cheap how many pond are there. and what kind of filtration you have

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I would suggest that you use plants as a filtration system in these ponds. This would make it more of a learning process, researching what plants to get, what plant you are aloowed to use in FL. also the science of natural pond filtration. Would be cheaper than buying a filtration system and less mothly maintence. I think that would be much more fulling than using a manufactored system. After all your in school to learn.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we have three ponds avaliable (possibly four, since one is so acid there might not be any more fish. i'll be fixing that) and I was thinking that one could be for malawis, one for livebearers, and another for oscars/south american cichlids (breeding). If we have a fourth...... we'll decide when the time comes. As of yet, I still have to talk in greater detail with Mr. Wallack (instructor) as to what we can and cannot do, but what I've been able to tell him seems to please him.

as for the filtration,... I'll post pictures of it because I don't understand It yet. The Info Is Still Coming! Thanks For All Of The Offers!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
ok bro are you going to stick with one speceis per pond? i think its better to prebent problems. and how is the water peramiters in that area?

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
here's the deal: I'm starting out with a single tank (a 55 gallon) to prove myself...
then, my teacher will allow me to run one of the big ponds (500g)

I started the tank with africans, four of each-labs, pearlmutts, red zebras, and albino socolofi- but in preperation for Ike, the teacher (Mr. wallack) took off the cover, allowing the sunlight to enter more than usual, killing about $87 of cichlids.... only one red zebra survived, and she is home now,..... havent seen her yet....

I redid the tank, anput in 6 black angelfish, using "pre-cycled" gravel.... It has been one day, and they all seem perfectly fine...... for now...... still a work in progress, but I need a bio-wheel like pump of apropriate size, for what it has now is a small one, and a strong bubbler..... plenty of oxygen, combined with the few live plants I added

In the 500 gallon pond, I'm hoping to stock it with african mbuna (so far Ive decided on labs, and albino socolofi.... any more suggestions?) to avoid predatation from haps (venustus, ahli, etc). more news coming.

P.S. I did give Mr. wallack the club's website, Welcome to the Gold Coast Aquarium Society of South Florida !!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Danny,

you could add a sponge filter to the air supply if you feel the current filtration is inadequate.

Did your teacher have any particular reason for removing the top? I don't see the purpose in doing something like that... Africans are very tuff and can handle a short power outage. However, if removing the top is all he did, i doubt the extra light is what killed the fish... what else was done for hurricane prep

I'll PM you my e-mail, feel free to contact me directly if you have questions or pass on my e-mail to Mr. Wallac if he would like to contact me.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
over the weekend I lost two of the angels at school.... a little dissapointing, but I expected 1 or 2 losses. the others seem fine....

Today was the first meeting for the SP Aquarium Club, and I'm running for president!! About 38 people attended the meeting! the teacher organizing this (Mr. Holder) eventually wants to be able to get donations, trips, and collecting opportunities (if possible)!! he wants this club to be BIG!!! What do you think! any questions or concerns?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Danny, it seems that something is wrong with that tank. The number of fish losses seems to great to be coincidence. can you give me a break down of how the tank is set up?

Also, has the tank been used for anything else in the past?

Good luck running for president and good luck with the club

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After the african cichlids, (the tank was bare with them) I totally drained the tank, added gravel from an established tank (bacteria/good stuff still needed to enter the water column and filter), and added the plants from last meeting (anyone want to donate live plants? It's awfully empty :eek:). I don't expect any more losses, but if I do lose any more, I will be concerned. I've posted a sign that says 'DO NOT TOUCH!!!', so nobody should be messing with it. I'll do a few tests anyways (PH, ammonia).

Today, we added water to an empty livebearer breeder/spawner/raiser setup. I'll post pictures.

·
Registered
324 Posts
when you move "established" gravel, you run the risk of an amonia spike due to disturbing any waste that was previously trapped in the gravel bed. you may also sometimes loose bacteria if the gravel is stored in a bucket and goes anaerobic.

plants will require fertilizer, CO2, and strong lighting. When you are set up properly I will have some cryptocrenes for you!

also, when you loose a fish the first thing you should do is test for amonia, nitrite, and Ph. watching for temperature swings is also very important.

Daniel, it is very important that you take your time with these projects and resist the urge to add fish too quickly. Once an aquarium is set up with water, substrate, and aquascape it is wise to wait several days for everything to settle in and stabilize... A whole week is advisable with a school aquarium.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
got it... do tests, finish aquascaping, and no more fish yet...... thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
that project sounds so cool..i wish there was a fish club when i went to school.

·
fishboydanny
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The angelfish seem very happy now, and are eating eagerly. Mr. Wallack is going to pay me back tomorrow for the africans, so I'll use some of that to buy a few more fish once I've tested the tank. Does the fish net have a large selection of angels? Plants? That's were I plan to go...... I'll do the tests first and post the results.....

·
Registered
324 Posts
Fish net is a great place for angels, but I think your tank is already fully stocked with angels. Once you get a pair, they will become very territorial and aggressive toward other angels. I was only able to keep two breeding pairs in a heavily planted 125g. Your 55g will most likely only support one pair once they start to breed.

Also, you need to post more detailed information on your tank set up in order to get better feedback. Start with lighting, photo period (including weekends), filtration, CO2 method, fertilization plan, and any other equipment in use (ex. heaters).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts