Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought a small 6g eclipse sw tank from my lfs that was already up and running with a mantis shrimp in it and it has a polyp of some kind in it but it isnt attached to anything and everytime i try to put it somewhere the flow from the filter moves it around now i have heard that you can use superglue to stick it to whatever rock you want it to be on and i was wondeirng if this is true and if there is any recommended brand of superglue or if any brand will work

·
Registered
47 Posts
Super glue "Gel". You can only use the Gel kind. Do you still have the mantis shrimp in it? You say you have a filter hooked up and running? What kind of filter is it and what is in it? Petstores are the worst places to get info and cause people to loose alot of livestock and money from talking out of their butts. Places like these forums are where you learn from experience. Where one of us have allready made the mistake and learned from it we can help others to avoid it all together and save money and livestock.

·
Registered
259 Posts
yeah, just use any kind of super glue and attach them to the rock.. just make sure to leave some of the bottom of the polyps exposed so that they can attach to the rock or disk... try that.. post some pics too, good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help guys

and yes the mantis is still in the tank and he is going to stay but since the tank already had the polyp in it i thought i might aswell give it a chance to look its best and if i keep the mantis well fed i hope that he will leave it alone(fingers crossed)

the tank is an eclipse 6 so whatever filter comes with it is what is on it but i am thinking about making a refugium or sump for it

and thanks all for the advice on the super glue ill check the ones we sell at work and see if any of them will work

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
now one question do i have to let the rock and polyp dry totally before applying the super glue or can i do it with them still wet cause im kinda iffy about keeping the polyp out of water for too long

·
Registered
259 Posts
no, i usually just glue the underside of the coral, and quickly put it on the rock underwater, but if you can take the rock out then just apply, the water helps the glue dry quicker.. but its your preference really... its not needed.. coral can survive for a long time out of water, sps can survive for over 2 hours, and softies 30-60 minutes.. dont be scared, youll be fine

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the help guys but my brilliant self bought the glue while at work and forgot to grab it when i left so ill have to wait till sunday to get it lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea it was raining pretty hard and i was just worried about gettin to my car and staying as dry as possible in the process and ended up totally forgetting about the glue

but if i get impatient ill just go out and buy some more tomorrow and just return the glue i got at work sunday when i get there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts