Aquarium Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, while my tank cycles, I'm considering how to aquascape the interior. I have a 29 gal that will be a community tank (haven't decided on the species yet).

I currently have a sword plant in a pot (gravel substrate didn't seem like it would be enough for it), and 2 bunches of Elodea, plus 4 plastic plants that came with my aquarium (Craigslist).

Any ideas on creating an interesting environment for my fish? Driftwood looks pretty cool, but I don't want it turning my water yellow. Would soaking take care of that? How many hiding spots should I have? How do you create hiding spots short of buying a resin archway that you see at pet stores?

I've been looking at photos in the gallery, but I'm not sure how to apply what I'm seeing.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
hello
as far as the driftwood goes...you need the right type of wood.(talking from experience)
as far as the aquascaping...it dependson the species of fish that you want.keep in mind that some fish aren't made for 29 gallon tanks. all species of fish require different needs such as open spaces or alot of hiding spots such as caves or plant.
what type of fish are you planning to buy??
and what type of community??aggressive or non- aggressive?

·
Queen Platy
932 Posts
my driftwood doesnt turn my water yellow. trying boiling it, it kills organisms and it also removes most of the tannins (stuff that makes the water yellow).

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
yeah thats what i heard...but its a lost cause for me, maybe a blessing in disguise because i need rocks to make a cichlid tank anyway

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking a peaceful community tank. I know I want some corydoras. Fancy guppies and platys sound fun, but I'm not sure I want to deal with all the fry from livebearers. Maybe cardinal tetras?

Since my tank is on the smaller side, I'm sticking with smaller fish.

·
Inspired.
138 Posts
Usually, driftwood has many hiding spots. Also, when you have live plants, many of the fish like to hide behind them. When you start adding lots of plants and driftwood, your tank will have "natural" hiding spots, so you don't need to worry much about that.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
Cardinal tetras are good... Have you looked into tiger barbs yet? They are very hardy fish and are very playful. I have trained mine to follow my hand across the front of the aquarium. Just be careful with what tank mates you get if you get tiger barbs

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
And yes corydoras work very well with tiger barbs.just make sure you get both of them in groups of At least 5 each if you take this route

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
from my experience...they are the best fish that i have ever bought...ive had the same group for about 3 years and they look like they still have a long way to go.
and yes they are pretty aggressive but if you keep them in groups of at least 5 they should be fine with most fish.and they have to be the same size as well
and you have to be careful with what tank mates you get with them. almost any catfish should be fine with them, such as corydoras, synos, etc.
avoid long finned fish,slow moving fish, and try to get various species of barbs;like the green,albino,and original tiger barbs.look in my profile and look for my pictures of my barb tank to see if you are interested.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
if you don't want to go this route...you can stick to livebearers. if you dont want any fry just make sure you get all females, or all males and there shouldnt be a problem

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you don't want to go this route...you can stick to livebearers. if you dont want any fry just make sure you get all females, or all males and there shouldnt be a problem
Hmm, I've read that an all-male grouping of libebearers isn't a good idea since they'll fight among themselves.

·
Goodwill Ambassador
614 Posts
yeah i guess that makes sense...how about all females???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts